Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropIDE - suggestions / wishlist — Parallax Forums

PropIDE - suggestions / wishlist

simonlsimonl Posts: 866
edited 2006-10-09 12:06 in Propeller 1
Would it be possible to have the ability to:

a) Start-up with tabs that were open at last shutdown;

b) Have new tabs (Ctrl+N) open with 'standard' code already entered
e.g. I always have a banner and standard CON settings (like _clkmode·= xtal1 + pll16x). It'd be nice if I could put that in a configuration file that gets copied into my new tabs...

c) Remember my setting for Ctrl+I

d) Enable third-party plug-ins, so we can hook our own utilities into the IDE (say, so we can hook into the code being typed, and maybe allow us to add our own 'command macros'). If you need an example, take a look at the excellent Proton+ IDE (in the Proton+ Development Suite) at http://www.picbasic.org/proton_lite.php#download

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Cheers,

Simon

Comments

• David BDavid B Posts: 591
    edited 2006-09-26 17:51
    I'd like to add a request to be able to configure the Propeller tool to start with the current directory set to the directory from which it was launched, rather than from the last-used directory. I'd say that 99% of the time, that's where I want to be working from.

What happens is I'll be working in a backup directory, researching old spin work, then will go back to my current directory. But new changes are saved to the old backup directory unless I remember to manually change the setting in the "current directory" display window. Then, when I try to run the code, the changes I KNOW I just made can't be found during the compile! it's a real head-scratcher until I think to check that "current directory" visual window and see I'm not working where I thought I was.

The Windows Winzip utility has this same issue - its initial default is to unzip files in the last accessed directory rather than the directory from which the utility was started. But they offer the configuration option to unzip files to the current directory rather than the last-used directory - that's the sort of configuration I'd like to see the Propeller tool offer.

David
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2006-09-26 20:18
    And please, please add the Basic Stamp serial debugging console to the the Propeller Tool!

I always end up needing the serial terminal so I have to run the Basic Stamp IDE too to get one. Then I have to remember to disconnect the debug tool from the COM port when I want to download a new Spin program. If it were integrated with the Propeller tool, it could be made to automatically disconnect from the COM port to allow a new program to be downloaded, and then reconnected when it's done.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2006-09-26 20:47
    I once worked for a major who had a plaque that said "Nothing is impossible to the man who doesn't have to do it himself." I would like to have the Float32/Float32 Full libraries integrated into the IDE. The following line is for computers, not us humans.

a := F.FAdd(F.FMul(F.FFloat(x), cTheta),F.FAdd(F.FMul(F.FFloat(y),F.FMul(sTheta, sPhi)),F.FMul(zHat,F.FMul(sTheta, cPhi))))

This is simplifed by making all the sin/cosin call not on the line by makeing variables cThets, sPhi, etc.
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-09-26 22:56
    not sure if this was suggested earlier. But, having "Intellisense" on "child" objects will be a good one to consider for the IDE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot

http://fstop.crosscity.com/
    http://icar.crosscity.com/
    ·
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2006-09-27 13:23
    I know this is more a windows issue.... but I am a rabid alt-tab user. I often use it to quickly switch back and forth between windows to cut and paste. or just to look at an example while I'm writing new code.
    I always catch myself hitting alt-tab to attempt to switch back and forth between 2 different tabs, looking at 1 spin program to use as an example while I'm coding a second program. Of course alt-tab doesn't work in this situation. But some way to switch between 2 open tabs would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2006-09-27 22:02
    parts-man73,

try using ALT {arrow keys} within the Propeller IDE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • camtcamt Posts: 45
    edited 2006-10-06 18:28
    I'm not sure if this wishlist extends to Spin, but it would be nice to have two additional directives:

1) BSTRING - similar to STRING but allows any byte value (including zero). The address returned would point to byte data with the first byte value being the number of bytes, then up to 255 bytes following. This would be very useful for passing variable length byte strings to methods.

2) INCLUDE - allows an external file to be included that contains constant definitions to be added to the CON section.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cam Thompson
    Micromega Corporation
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-10-09 12:06
    Hi Camt,

On your second point; I think it's possible now:

Example file - top.spin:

OBJ

tv : "tv_wtext"
      XX : "myIncludeFile"

PUB start

tv.str( string( XX#myVar2 ) )
      tv.out( 13 )
      tv.dec( XX#myVar1 )

Example file -·myIncludeFile.spin:

CON  myVar1 = 123
      myVar2 = "Hello"  

If I've got my code right (I'm not near my PChip right now) this should display the following on a TV:
    Hello

HTH

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon