Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Experiments with renewable energy — Parallax Forums

Experiments with renewable energy

cclaud2cclaud2 Posts: 21
edited 2012-09-20 13:14 in BASIC Stamp
Does anyone know where I can find the parts for the experiments with renewable energy tutorial?· I will buy the parts used from someone that is no longer using the parts from the kit or if someone knows where I can get an unopened kit that would be even better.·
I really want to complete that tutorial so I was extremely dissapointed to find out that it had been discontinuedsad.gif .

Can someone please help or point me in the right direction..· Thanks.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-09-24 08:58
    cclaud2 -

Here is an excerpt from an earlier posting about the smae topic:

Just an update on building your own Experiments with Renewable Energy Kit. This is particularly for those individuals, like me, and schools that are disappointed that this SIC kit has been discontinued, although I understand the reasons Parallax took the decision, which must have been difficult for them after investing a lot in the development.

The solar energy parts (solar cell array, connectors, electric motor and fan) are still easily obtainable from other educational 'solar energy' kits. I even found an identical kit on eBay! The wind turbine generator is the tricky one, although, as stated above, Parallax has a small stock left (fairly costly though and heavy for shipping). An alternative is a small educational 'normal windmill' type three phase generator; I've seen one on eBay with attachable rectifier and experiment kit from China which could be adapted.

The Parallax parts (BOE, BS2, servo etc.) are easily obtained. The ADC0834 is still around, although all old-fashioned DIP configuration ICs are getting more difficult to source (Parallax lists it, and I've got some from BGMicro.com, for example). The AAA NiCads and battery holder can be widely sourced.

The text is downloadable (get plenty of paper and a duplex printer if you want a manageable size printed version!).

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-09-24 12:05
    cclaud2, I think I still have the three phase wind generator and possibly the little blue DC fan, and also the solar array and the ADC.· If you are interested you can have all the above, plus anything else I can find for , for about $20.00 plus shipping.· PM me if you are interested.

Sid
  • brsbrs Posts: 33
    edited 2006-09-24 15:03
    Why did parallax choose to discontinue the Experiments with Renewable Energy Kit?
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-09-24 17:13
    cclaud2, are·you interested in the parts I have?

Sid
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2006-09-24 19:46
    I have yet to open my Parallax kit to see what's inside, but isn't this kit from Edmond Scientific the same thing, at least in concept?

Power House: Experiments in Future Technics, Item #3053098

scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3053098

This kit has been available for some time now. Perhaps Parallax could redesign the course around this kit?

Kenny
  • george22301george22301 Posts: 12
    edited 2012-09-16 23:38
    Hi, I would be interested in these parts for the Experiments in Renewable Energy Kit by Parallax as well as the parts for the Digital Logic trainer Kit which Parallax used to sell.
    George
  • george22301george22301 Posts: 12
    edited 2012-09-20 13:14
    Sid, I would be interested in buying these items if you still have them available.