Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EEPROM memory — Parallax Forums

EEPROM memory

BOBOTgeniusBOBOTgenius Posts: 4
edited 2006-09-24 17:59 in BASIC Stamp
So heres the dealio, I'm typing what could be quite a long code that one Parallax "Board of education" eeprom may not be able to hold it.· Are the boards that have much higher capacity eeprons, and if there isn't or they are to expensive, is it possible to piggy-back two eeproms for more data storage?· If theres some one who can help it would be much appreciated, my high school graduation depends on this code.

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-09-23 22:34
    The BS2 can hold a 2K program. The BS2P can hold (8) 2K programs, broken down into subroutines. Check the Basic Stamp Reference manual for more info www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/basicstamps/documentation_basic_stamp.asp
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-23 22:45
    Forrest,

·· Sub programs would be a more accurate assessment, since subroutines sort of implies you can call across slots, which you cannot.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • BOBOTgeniusBOBOTgenius Posts: 4
    edited 2006-09-24 03:28
    Actually pretty much 80% of the program is going to be subroutines

what I'm doing is replecating the effects of a pacemaker on a heart that is in fibrillation using IFTHEN statements and subroutines.· Stuff like pressing a pushbutton linked to· an if then statement that activates a subroutine to simulate (example) left atrial fibrillation.· Then using a charged capacitor to send a high signal to pin 3 to act as a charge that a pacemaker would send to the heart (please forgive my rambling)

my point being I'm going to have to simulate every singal problem with the heart that a pacemaker can correct, accept all I have for the program is 1 school issued EEPROM a parallax board to connect it to and little to no funds to buy better eeproms, so if it's possible to connect 2 together to get more memory that would be tghe best solution.confused.gif
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2006-09-24 03:56
    BOBOTgenius,
    You said...
    my high school graduation depends on this code
    WOW, I'm impressed that you are doing a project like this for high school.· I'm curious what data you are going off of to simulate·a heart that is in fibrillation in the first
    place?··
    ·
    As far as·your graduation depending on the code, I don't know all of your details, but I would be comfortable saying that most of your grade will more likely be
    determined by how well your project is presented.· That means that everything that happens along the way good or bad, if it works or doesn't work should be well
    documented and included in your final report.· It should be clear and to the point with a definite purpose in mind.·
    ·
    For program memory, I don't think this project would require·an incredibly huge amount·for the·program itself, but it may need a relatively large amount of memory
    to carry out the various simulations (I don't know how complex some of these patterns might be).· In this case though, you could use a variety of external memories
    available that could "talk" to the Stamp.
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-24 14:42
    It looks like you're limited in what you have available for hardware to a BOE with a BS2 which does have only a single 2K program memory. Nonetheless, you'd be surprised on how large a program you can write in this if you're careful. One thing to think about is how much you can represent in tables and process interpretively since this is a very compact way to represent complex information.

What is it you actually have to do? Do you have to display something, light LEDs, make sounds, what? That will determine how complex your program has to be. In representing A-fib or other arrhythmias, how much detail do you need?
    edited 2006-09-24 17:49
    You asked about the circuit?
    So far my idea is to have 4 LED's blinking to simulate the pumping of each heart valve, then I'm going to have an undetermined amount of pushbuttons, each representing a problem with the heart that a pacemaker can correct.· Along with a capacitor that I can use to send a high signal to simulate sending a charge to the heart

Also, if I can do it, most pacemakers have an internal memory that keeps a record of your heart rate, basically a small electro cardiograph, that doctors can access to keep track of a patients history.· You don't have to worry about helping me with that, I'm unsure if I'm going to do it.

ps I understand what you're saying about simplifying a very complex system.· thats why I'm thinking of basing this off older more simple·models of pacemakers, then in my presentation showing my circuit and then showing how far we've come since then...if it gets to complicated
    edited 2006-09-24 17:59
    I'm posting two times in a row because I forgot to say something in the last post

Beau Schwabe
    You were curious about the data I'm basing this off of?
    My mom is a physical·therapist for the Visiting Nurses Association and she knows a lot of people at the Framingham Hospital I believe (I've broken a lot of bones in my life).· I can talk to them·about details such as the time duration between the opening and closing of each heart valve.· If I got the seconds I could easily convert it to ms and program a heart beat quite easily ^_^
    ·