Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Maximum Voltage for the Demo board? — Parallax Forums

Maximum Voltage for the Demo board?

James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
edited 2006-09-26 22:48 in Propeller 1
Ok Parallax guys....I know the stated max for the demo board is 9 volts......could it take car voltage?

I know you guys under-rate the voltage regulators sometimes......but this regulator is so small....I'm worried about heat.

I wouldn't use this much.....just enough to validate some components that I'm currently working with.

Opinoins??

James L

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-09-24 00:50
    I'm running mine on 12v (car voltage), I run the demo board and the LCD TV off the same supply.

The regulators are more than up to the job.

Graham
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2006-09-24 03:02
    Rating on the regulator is 26V max but it will handle transients up to 60V. The main limit is the power dissipation which would lower the input voltage under heavier loads. The regulator will also protect itself and the board from any reverse voltages and as the input does not use any tantalum caps there shouldn't be any smoke either.

*Peter*
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-26 22:48
    Remember too that 12V in a car is really nominally 13.5V and runs up around 15V at times on some vehicles.· Not to mention the noise.· Even where voltage isn't a factor you sometimes have to deal with noise.· This depends on the car and it's electrical system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support