Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax RFID reader — Parallax Forums

Parallax RFID reader

Hick BHick B Posts: 3
edited 2006-10-12 15:35 in BASIC Stamp
Hi there,

I am thinking of purchasing the RFID reader from parallax but ideally I would like further range of reading passive tags...

Does anyone know if I could improve the reader myself and how or if there are similar products with readers that can read longer distances for a low cost price?

Thanks in advance

Hicks smile.gif

Post Edited (Hick B) : 9/23/2006 10:21:54 AM GMT

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-09-23 21:00
    To my knowledge, the Parallax RFID reader is the only one that's reasonably priced.
  • Hick BHick B Posts: 3
    edited 2006-09-25 22:13
    Thanks AllanLane5...

I thought so but surely there must be a way to manually make the parallax reader extend its range?

Is there anyone out there with some knowledge about this sort of thing?

Many Thanks

Brian
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-09-25 23:28
    Actually, there isn't any way to extend the range due to the fact that the antenna is built into the board.· This board was designed to give the max range with accuracy regarding the EM4100 tags (125KHz).· There are other RFID readers out there that have greater range, however like you mentioned they are expensive.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Hick BHick B Posts: 3
    edited 2006-09-26 07:47
    Ah right thanks for informing me of that Dave...

I'm thinking that the Parallax one will suit my requirements at least for a prototype anyway and the ease of interfacing and programming the stamp microcontroller makes it a winner for me!

Cheers smile.gif

Brian
  • Leif MasrudLeif Masrud Posts: 2
    edited 2006-10-12 15:35
    Hey all,

I found a website detailing an entirely home-made reader and tag. This may help you hot-rod your setup. (www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/05/how_to_homemade_rfid_reader.html)

On a related note, I'm trying to figure out how to build a STAMP-compatible reader for HF RFID tags (in the 13.56 MHz band). Anybody have any useful suggestions, or done this before? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

-Leif