Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
voltage regulators for bs2? — Parallax Forums

voltage regulators for bs2?

FireHelixFireHelix Posts: 42
edited 2006-09-27 16:51 in BASIC Stamp
I'm currently working on a project that involves building a BS2 and it's supporting components onto a relatively small and irregularly shaped board. as such, space is vital. the only inputs for the stamp will be 2 switches and an ir emitter / detector pair (both leds). the only outputs are a status led and signal to a transistor for a 6v pnumatic solenoid. the whole setup will be powered from a 9v battery. im curious if theres any voltage regulator i could use to power everything, or everything minus the solenoid that would take up a little less space on the board than the regulators on the BOE do.

any suggestions? im open to powering everything off 1 regulator, or using 2 regulators (stamp + solenoid), it just needs to be smaller than whats normally used if possible

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
I know just enough to tinker with something... but not enough to fix it when I break it. Thank the techie gods theres forums...

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2006-09-23 15:11
    You can get surface-mount versions (SMD) of the same postage-stamp-sized voltage regulators that you are used to seeing. They're tiny -- like the size of a few grains of rice. You might have a trickier time assembling the board, but they're very very small.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-09-23 15:12
    The Stamp has an onboard voltage regulator built in... you can just use that...· No extra parts reqired (the solenoid may need a separate power source?)
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2006-09-23 15:27
    Duh. Why didn't I think of that. What's the onboard regulator rated at?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST
    edited 2006-09-23 16:12
    If memory serves correctly, it is an S-81350HG 5-volt regulator. it can accept a range slightly over 5 volts up to 15 volts and regulates it to a steady 5 volts. When the Stamp is active I think it draws about 8mA. Since it can provide up to 50mA, the majority of its capacity (about 40mA) would be available for your IR LED's and any other circuitry.
  • FireHelixFireHelix Posts: 42
    edited 2006-09-23 16:57
    i should correct myself. im not using an acutal BS2 stamp, im working with the OEM components at this point. basic stamp 2e interpreter chip (DIP), EEPROM (DIP) ect...
    sorry if this caused confusion

i like the SMD idea, though i have never worked with that technology. would i need any special equipment for that? or just very very careful soldering iron work?

my project that this question applies to is here:
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=139395

the reason i need to shrink everything down is that it all needs to fit inside a space thats the size and shape of a pistol grip

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I know just enough to tinker with something... but not enough to fix it when I break it. Thank the techie gods theres forums...
    edited 2006-09-24 21:45
    If size is of importance, why are you using an OEM?· I would use a BS2 since the entire BS2 is about the size of just the PIC interperter.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-09-24 21:48
    Well, I assumed when he said "OEM", he meant "OEM components mounted on my own circuit board, so it supports my own form factor."
    edited 2006-09-24 23:17
    ok... so we're all on the same wavelength, here's what i'm working with right now
    http://www.budgetbot.com/CES_Kit.html

this is what i have been developing the program on. for the board im creating, i need to transplant the interpreter chip and the EEPROM off this board onto the custom board.

attached is a very rough drawing of the shape of the board, with interpreter and EEPROM drawn on for some idea of scale (gotta find my measurement notes in my messy apartment... a challenge in itself)
    the height is approx. 8cm.
    horizontal across the bottom edge is about 3.2 cm
    horizontal across the top edge about 2.2 cm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-09-24 23:38
    You will need several other components as well (such as the responator etc.)... again, your approach doesn't make sense... a BS2 is smaller than the EEPROM and PIC
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-09-24 23:45
    I think you're approaching this from the wrong direction. The Parallax BS2e Stamp contains the Basic interpreter, EEPROM, resonator, RS232 to TTL conversion circuit and a +5V DC regulator circuit all on a module measuring 0.62 in x 1.20 in. If you're going for the smallest size - start with the Stamp and not the OEM version.
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-09-25 00:00
    lets not forget that you can probably rotate either the the board outline or the components to make them line up and save considerable space, if you used a module rather than the oem components, you could probably make it all fit quite easily, (including the 9volt)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    edited 2006-09-25 00:05
    ok.... again... i know about the resonator, i know how they all get wired together and most importantly... this is what i HAVE.

if i had an actual stamp, then i would most definitely use than and only have to worry about a carrier board for the power button, trigger switch, solenoid header, ect.

so back to my original problem, and the topic of this thread... all other design factors aside, any suggestions on what i could use as a power regulator that would have a smaller footprint than say, a LM2940 + heatsink and be able to power 2 buttons, 2 LEDs, an ir-detector, and a pnumatic solenoid?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-09-27 04:28
    well, from my other thread...
    willis123 said...
    How about these regulators:

Digikey P/N: MCP1700-5002E/TO-ND (TO-92 package)---Should run your noid (250 mA)
    Digikey P/N: LM7805CT-ND (TO-220 package)---Should definitely be large enough to run everything (1A)
    Digikey P/N: 296-12290-1-ND (SOT-223 package)---Should be large enough to run everything (500 mA)--Surface Mount!!!

For the record, I'm definitely not an electronics expert. But, in my opinion (however uneducated it may be), those ones should work for you.

willis123 sent me this starting list, which is exactly what i was looking for smilewinkgrin.gif
    guess it's time for some specs reading and such.

so how does a person surface mount? is it something that can still be done with a normal soldering irons? anyone have a link to a tutorial?

thanks willis123 and thanks in advance to everyone else

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-09-27 16:51
    I have seen several "tutorials" about working with SMD's... It seems that if you are careful, you can do it by hand using a good soldering iron with a small clean tip.· Try the phrase "how to solder SMD" in google as a good start...