Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tri-axis Accelerometers - What's the Z-Axis measuring? — Parallax Forums

Tri-axis Accelerometers - What's the Z-Axis measuring?

Dave HDave H Posts: 3
edited 2006-09-23 02:44 in General Discussion
I just picked up a MEMSIC Tri-axis accelerometer (MEMS technology), and I'm stumped on what to do with the third (z) axis. I am parsing and handling the x/y axis properly (x = rotation, y = vertical tilt), but I'm clueless on what to do with the z-axis. I've searched and searched, but can't seem to find any solid documentation on this (I guess it's just too obvious to discuss).

Can anyone familiar with this type of hardware paint me a picture on what I'm missing?

Thanks,
-Dave

PS: http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=6&m=55816 <-- Was helpful in terms of 2D acceleration, but was missing what I needed to break through the 3rd wall [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-22 21:55
    Dave,

·· Is this for a Parallax product?· Our MEMSIC is only a 2 axis...The 3-axis is a Hitachi.· If not I will shift this thread into the Sandbox where it·won't be off·topic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Dave HDave H Posts: 3
    edited 2006-09-22 22:10
    Chris,

You're absolutely right - I got the wrong place. Can you move the thread for me please?

Thanks,
    -Dave
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-22 22:30
    This thread is being moved from the Stamps in Class Forum to the Sandbox Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-09-22 22:37
    Usually the x, y and z axis are forward/back, left/right and up/down as the three directions being measured. If you don't need it ignore it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Dave HDave H Posts: 3
    edited 2006-09-23 00:35
    Yeah, I need to make use of all three axis, I'm afraid.

From what I've been able to discern so far, the x axis is left/right rotation, the y axis is up/down tilt, and the z axis (guess) appears to be whether it is upside down or not, and what degree to that extent that it is.

I guess. [noparse]:D[/noparse]

-Dave
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2006-09-23 01:12
    Did you take into account gravity? One "axis" should have a constant reading (not 0) at rest. As you tilt it, the value read is the cosine of the angle.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-09-23 02:44
    The three axes (pic attached.)
    282 x 213 - 6K