Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Compass Module — Parallax Forums

Compass Module

MoNajmMoNajm Posts: 2
edited 2006-09-25 15:33 in BASIC Stamp
Has any one used a Compass Module (Hitachi HM55B) with BS2? Any tips to get me started. I need to be able to plug it into my laptop via the USB port and have it send me a signal (N, S, E, and W) that is all.
·
Thanks in advance
·
Mo

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-22 18:46
    Yes. There are plenty of examples of its use in the documentation that comes with it. You can download the examples as well. Look on the Parallax website page for the module <http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=29123>. You can use the DEBUG command to send the information to the laptop. Look in the Parallax Basic/Stamp Manual for suggestions and examples of communicating using the DEBUG statement.
  • MoNajmMoNajm Posts: 2
    edited 2006-09-25 14:27
    Thank you for the info, it was very helpful, the one thing that I missing is how to connect the compass module to the Carrier Board (I have Board of Education version); I did see the diagram for connecting it to the Microcontroller. If any one has a diagram for connecting to the actual board please post……I am new at this sorry for asking stupid questions.

Thanks in advance

MoNajm
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-09-25 15:33
    MoNajm,

From the documentation at the link provided above by Mike, you will find this picture:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=43333
    • Plug the Compass into the breadboard, spanning the middle section. The breadboard contacts on the left are isolated from the right side.
    • Plug·a jumper wire between Compass pins 1 and 2, so they are connected.
    • Plug a jumper wire between Compass pin 1 or 2 to BASIC Stamp P6 (the black header left of the breadboard)
    • Plug a jumper wire between Compass pin 3 and the Vss (ground) connection on top of the breadboard.
    • Plug a jumper wire between Compass pin 6 and Vdd on top of the breadboard.
    • Plug a jumper wire between Compass pin 5 and BASIC Stamp P4 on the left side of the breadboard
    • Plug a jumper wire between Compass pin 4 and BASIC Stamp P5 on the left side of the breadboard

Now you're fully wired up and ready to run the calibration code. Note that IC pin numbering is counted from the upper left-hand corner in a counter-clockwise fashion, which puts compass pin 6 in the upper right-hand corner of the module.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    438 x 327 - 24K