Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What is minimum input current on interrupt pins? — Parallax Forums

What is minimum input current on interrupt pins?

SteelSteel Posts: 313
edited 2006-09-22 19:52 in General Discussion
I have a project.· My SX is expecting a pulse from another chip as an interrupt.· The chip sends the pulse, and I have an LED indicator showing the pulse is sent...

...But the SX chip is not seeing the pulse.

When I hook 5V to the interrupt pin, it acts as it should...but the SX doesn't seem to be seeing the pulse when it is sent from this chip...(about 20mA).

Are there voltage/current limits on interrupt pins?

thanks.
Shaun

Post Edited (Steel) : 9/22/2006 6:05:23 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-22 18:14
    How are you connecting the LED? Interrupt pins take very very little current and use the same voltage thresholds as any other pin. Sometimes, when you have an LED on a chip's output, it pulls the voltage up or down (depending on how you've connected it) so that it's too high (or too low) to properly trigger the interrupt pin. Try decreasing the LED current (by increasing the value of the current limiting resistor). Many chips can only handle 10-20ma without the voltage going too high (or too low).
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-09-22 18:14
    Shaun,
    The input pins are triggered by voltage level, not by current.
    Do you have the LED connected directly to the interrupt pin (or through a resistor) ?
    If so, the LED is probably loading it down so it doesn't trigger the SX pin.
    Interrupts follow the settings for threshold, so if you didn't change the pin it should interrupt when it crosses 1.4volts.
    Possibly the pin is being held above that voltage at all times, that would cause it not to interrupt also.
    Try putting a meter on the lead instead of the LED. That will load it down less.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

There are only two guaranteed ways to become weathy.
    Spend less than you make.
    Make more than you spend.
    ·
  • SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2006-09-22 19:52
    Right now the LED is with a 330 ohm resistor. I am going to increase the resistor, and verify the logic levels. Thanks