Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK link LED's solid green, all the time — Parallax Forums

PINK link LED's solid green, all the time

SAAMSAAM Posts: 5
edited 2006-09-22 17:15 in BASIC Stamp
confused.gif
I'm playing with a new PINK and I can't establish connectivity to it.
I noticed that the two green LED's on either side of the RJ-45 connector go to solid green (no flashing or pulsing) as soon as I power up, even without a network cable attached.
(I'm supplying power from a HomeWork board.)

Is this the normal expected behavior of the uplink LED's on PINK? Or is it indicitave of a problem?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-22 14:01
    SAAM,

·· While this is not the normal behavior of the PINK module under normal operating conditions, it may well be when operating it from the H/W Board for power since that board cannot provide enough power for the PINK Module to operate correctly.· You will need a heftier 5V regulated supply.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-09-22 14:38
    According to the documentation for the Homework board www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28158 there are 3 versions of the board. Versions A and B can only supply 50 mA - which is not enough for the PINK module. Version C can supply 500 mA - which should be enough to power the PINK module.

A fresh 9V battery should last 1-2 hours if that's what you're using to power your Rev C HomeWork Board and PINK.

Post Edited (Forrest) : 9/22/2006 2:44:20 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-22 15:14
    Forrest,

·· Unfortunately, while the Rev C board has a beefier regulator, the 9V battery itself will usually be too weak to handle to current requirements of a module like this.· I'd have to recheck the current draw but I believe it was around 165 mA idle.· A 9V battery wouldn't be sufficient in this case...A fresh battery wouldn't last long.· Using this module we recommend a regulated supply capable of at least 300 mA and not for use with the H/W Board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • SAAMSAAM Posts: 5
    edited 2006-09-22 17:15
    Thanks everyone. Over-and-out! tongue.gif