Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New project: serial hub — Parallax Forums

New project: serial hub

KCFlyerKCFlyer Posts: 1
edited 2006-09-22 03:37 in Propeller 1
I need to accumulate serial data from several devices (altimeters, GPS, sensors) at 4800 or 9600 baud. I think four inputs would be sufficient.

There would be very little processing of the data streams. Probably just add some protocol bytes to identify the source of the stream. Shouldn't
need to buffer more than one or two records.

As soon as a complete record is ready, it would be sent out to an RF link at 115k baud.

I only have a little experience with the Stamp, and I had doubts about it's ability to handle multiple simultaneous serial streams. The Propeller looks
like it might just be the ticket!

Experts, is this a good application for the Propeller?

Thanks!

Comments

• James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2006-09-22 03:02
    KC Flyer said...
    I need to accumulate serial data from several devices (altimeters, GPS, sensors) at 4800 or 9600 baud. I think four inputs would be sufficient.

There would be very little processing of the data streams. Probably just add some protocol bytes to identify the source of the stream. Shouldn't
    need to buffer more than one or two records.

As soon as a complete record is ready, it would be sent out to an RF link at 115k baud.

I only have a little experience with the Stamp, and I had doubts about it's ability to handle multiple simultaneous serial streams. The Propeller looks
    like it might just be the ticket!

Experts, is this a good application for the Propeller?

Thanks!
    KC,

Yes this is a perfect application for the Propeller. I have been on your web site....and I'm building from some of your examples.· I'm building a totally autonomous flight system. The nature of the propeller give fast access to information in and out.

Hope this helps,

James L
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-22 03:37
    The SPIN serial routines are good up to 9600 Baud so all of the sensor acquisition could be done in SPIN with one cog for each stream. Each stream would have its own buffer. There would be an additional (the main) cog which would take data from each buffer and assemble it into a single stream which could be placed into a transmit buffer which would be sent out using the FullDuplexSerial object using assembly language which can handle 115k Baud. If you need to, you could even double buffer the data for transmission so you'd overlap the assembly of the data and its transmission.