Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EMIC Speechless! — Parallax Forums

EMIC Speechless!

GuidoGuido Posts: 195
edited 2006-09-23 20:52 in BASIC Stamp
I have been playing around with the new EMIC talking module. I have tried the sample programs that are listed on the Doc's section. I have a hard time getting the EMIC to work. If I unplug power after I have downloaded the Programs sometimes it will work! Any Ideas....I think I have a bad one. Attached is a sample talking clock that I have been playing around with, but I can not get the EMIC to Talk......Probably Deaf and Dumb like me!
Thank You
Guido

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-21 15:15
    Have you tried the EMICTTS.BS2 code and have the Reset line connected?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-09-21 19:23
    Guido,

I have just started with the EMIC as well, and have noted the same issue, even with the EMICTTS test program. I've found having a pull-up on the reset line does help.

Cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • GuidoGuido Posts: 195
    edited 2006-09-21 21:47
    Chris,

Yes I have tried that demo program....It at times does not work either....seems like it hangs up....I even tried using the hard reset in the above program but it did not help

Guido
    edited 2006-09-21 22:11
    Guido,

·· When you say, "at times", is it periodically hanging?· What is it that happens that seems to cause it?· Does this happen while running the EmicTTS.BS2 file with the reset line wired to the I/O pin specified in the code?· Having that reset line wired to the correct I/O line can make a difference.· I have seen this before when that line wasn't connected to the right pin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-21 22:44
    Chris,
    When the Debug screen come on and you select a demo it comes back with something like EMIC did not respond.....Program ends or hangs up. I think I have tried all the tricks except putting the pull up resistor in
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2006-09-22 01:36
    Have you checked the settings of the configuration switches? I think the demo programs expect hexadecimal mode, no echo.

If the hard reset routine times out, it sends back a a message (TO_error)
    DEBUG CLS, "No response from Emic TTS." ' ruh-roh, Shaggy

Are you seeing that message? I just noticed that in my application programs I increased the timeout in the wait_OK routine from 1000 to 3000, but I don't recall why I did that. Give it a try if you are seeing a timeout.

I haven't put a pullup on the reset line and have been bringing it LOW and then INPUT as suggested in the docs. It seems to work okay.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2006-09-22 13:12
    Tracy,

Yes I have verified that the Dip switches are set properly. Using a Hard reset I do see the Led Flash green on, then off, When it does work it seems to turn red. I have tried the delay and no go. Maybe i just have a bad unit and should send it back. Seems some else is having the same problem. Hope we can figure out what is going on, i have a project that i need to have this work every time.

Thanks Again

Guido
    edited 2006-09-23 15:05
    Well I guess I just have a Speechless EMIC. How would I optain a RA number for exchange for a new one?

Thank Guido
    edited 2006-09-23 20:52
    Guido,

·· Contact Tech Support at the following e-mail address.· List your name, address and phone number used when you purchased the item from us.

support@parallax.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support