Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Large numbers on a 4x20 lcd — Parallax Forums

Large numbers on a 4x20 lcd

CogburnCogburn Posts: 62
edited 2006-09-20 15:39 in BASIC Stamp
I am getting older and I need some bigger numbers on my lcd.· I have a Parallax 4x20 backlit lcd that I am going to use to display speed and rpm from hall effect sensors and associated magnets located on my camshaft and on my drive shaft.· I would like to use the entire 4 rows to make my numbers bigger as I only need 6 numbers and a space.( My truck will not do 100mph)· Does anyone have the data statements that will·make larger numbers on the lcd?· I think I have seen some examples in pictures·but I have not come across any code or data statements that will produce the numbers.

Cogburn

Comments

• Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2006-09-19 03:42
    You would need to create some custom characters and then send the commands to display the custom characters as a group. It would be an interesting challenge.
    ·
    If your LCD does not have a serial interface you may want to consider getting one of Peter Anderson's chips.· http://www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd107.html· His chip has the "Big Num" mode built in.

Brian Riley and I collaborated on a board for the chip. Brian sells·a kit that you can build to put the chip in if you are up to a little kit building. http://www.wulfden.org/k107/
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-09-19 12:56
    Some of the pictures you may recall having seen are probably of Scott Edwards' products...www.seetron.com.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-09-19 17:58
    I had to get a big LCD to damn eyes!!
    www.seetron.com/bpp420_1.htm
    i love it one pin control

Post Edited (Special_K) : 9/20/2006 2:15:10 PM GMT
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-09-20 11:42
    I was thinking that somewhere here on the Parallax site was an example of how to do big digits. One of the Nuts and Volts articles maybe? I was trying to find it it but I've run out of time and have to head to work,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • CogburnCogburn Posts: 62
    edited 2006-09-20 15:39
    I found a Nuts and Volts article on how to do "computer" digits with the special character creator software but not digits based on combining rows of symbols into large digits.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Showing up to school doesn't·mean you are a student any more than crawling up in an oven means that·you are a biscuit.