Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem BS1 REV D — Parallax Forums

Problem BS1 REV D

vikingviking Posts: 30
edited 2006-09-21 00:52 in BASIC Stamp
OK Ihave several of these working over the past few years. I am not real smart on them but I can get my simple program in and going USUALLY. This is the second stamp I have had a problem with this week. The stamps trigger a hockey puck type solid state relays I just wire from the stamp board to the relay using the GND pin for all the -·· Program
'this is the program for thejuggling teddy bear
dirs=%11111111
pins=%00000
start:
pins=%10001
pause 100
pins=%01001
pause· 100
pins=%01010
pause· 100
pins=%00110
pause· 100
pins=%00101
pause· 100
pins=%10010
pause· 100
pins=%10101
debug pins
goto· start

Oh yes the relays energize Christmas lights. I loaded the program and ran it on my laptop using dos. The debug window came up and it displayed debug =21 at each command.I am powering the stamp with a 9 volt battery for now. I took the stamp to the work shop and connected it to the relays with a load on them. It was working oK except it appeared that I had a "flicker" in two outputs or like a quick double output. The battery was only putting out 6.2 V I put in a new battry and it was putting out 8V. The stamp worked good shortly and then shut down. The voltage regulator started to get hot. I disconnected the stamp and hooked to the computer and tried to "run" the program ERROR HARDWARE not found· message. I am trying to figure outwhat I have done wrong. Any help? Don't get tooo technical ha ha

·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-17 01:12
    What kind of solid state relays are they? What kind of inputs do they require? Most use LEDs on the input side and these may not have current limiting resistors. You have to check the spec sheets. Even if they have current limiting, they may take as much as 10-20ma each. You're turning on 2 or 3 at a time which could draw 20-30ma. I'm not sure how much extra current the BS1 regulator can supply, but this is a concern. More likely, there was no current limiting resistor and you effectively shorted out the BS1 output pins, probably saved the relays and BS1 by running down the battery and overheating the regulator.

Check the datasheets for the SSR.
  • vikingviking Posts: 30
    edited 2006-09-20 22:16
    ·I understand what you are saying. The ssrs are used and are Eastman kodak. Can not find specs for them.What I am wondering is why do I have several others working some for 5 to 6 years ?? Would it help if I added a resistor in the output circuit say a 220 ohm or so ?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-09-21 00:52
    I think SSRs are set up with an internal resistor in series with the IRED inside them (for IMAX at VSUPPLY MAX RATING.)
    ·
    Are the STAMP pins not going HI/LO?
    Do the SSRs work if you hard-wire·the input·On/Off?
    ·
    Anyway, I (too) think you should drive the SSRs with transistors, using a voltage source other than·the STAMP's +5V (VDD).

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 9/21/2006 1:00:45 AM GMT