Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Download freeze — Parallax Forums

Download freeze

RandyRandy Posts: 79
edited 2006-09-22 00:42 in BASIC Stamp
I have noticed that often times when downloading a program to a BS2PE that the bar graph in the download progress indicator freezes, most often in slot 2 at 50 to 80% complete. The message at the bottom says download complete. The box does not close nor will it respond to a mouse click on the “X”. The stamp will run and executes the changes as if it did complete the download. If I hit control R a second time it will reload normally with the box closing. I have had this with more than one stamp and with different programs. I am running Windows XP. Does not seem to matter if I have other applications open or not. Any ideas?
·
Randy

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-17 02:02
    Randy,

·· What version of the Stamp Editor are you using?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • RandyRandy Posts: 79
    edited 2006-09-17 16:44
    Hi Chris,
    I am using 2.2.5. Before you ask I am certain there is no problem with bad conections, power supply or the like. I have had this on more than one project, differant boards, etc. The only common would be the serial cable. Most of my projects involve StampDAQ. I never have a problem talking to StampDAQ with the same cable so I doubt that is the problem. It does seem to get worse as I make changes to the programs and they grow. It is not uncommon for me to be well into the 90% range in a slot or two as I tweak things, I often use all of the variable space.

Randy
    edited 2006-09-17 16:58
    Randy,

·· Are you using a laptop and/or USB to Serial adapter?· Either of these items can cause timing issues which can often be solved by changing some settings within the port's advanced properties in the Device Manager.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-18 00:42
    Chris,

I am using a Dell desktop. The cable is serial to serial with DB9 male and female, it might be a little long, 8 or maybe 10 feet. I don't know what brand it is. I got it from either Jameco or DigiKey. I have used the same cable etc for two or three years. I don't remember having this problem with BS2's that I would load programs into often as I never had room for my sloppy bloated programs and had to alter many times. It was when I discovered the BS2PE that I started seeing the problem. As I said the program seems to fully load as the program will execute okay, the download window just freezes.

As a side question, I can only see the bar graph of four slots. Can the window be expanded so I can see all the slots load? It's not important but I thought if you guys put this window there so we can have the excitment of watching the progress it might be nice to see all of it.

Randy
    edited 2006-09-18 01:29
    Randy,

·· I would recommend completely uninstalling V2.2.5 that you have and download and install V2.2.6 off from our website.· It sounds like you have other issues, since the window is supposed to show you all slots.· Out of curiosity, what resolution is your screen set at?· Are you using Large Fonts?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-21 00:33
    Chris,

Sorry about not getting back to you right away, life interferes. I have a 17 inch monitor set at 1024 x 768 with "normal" font size. I will install 2.2.6 and see what happens.

Randy
    edited 2006-09-21 02:08
    Chris,

I installed 2.2.6 and unistalled 2.2.5 and also 2.1 that was still hanging around. I loaded the BS2pe ten times and it only froze once. Better but....

I didn't make any changes to the program which I usually do before loading again. I still have the same issue with not being able to see all the slots on the bar graph. I played with the resolution, up and down, with no change in how much was visable. I should be able to contact support on Friday afternoon if you think they would like to know about this.

Randy
    edited 2006-09-21 14:45
    Randy,

·· I also have screen resolution set to 1024X768 and just created a project with all 8 slots in use on a BS2p24.· Oddly enough during the first download the bar stopped at the 4th slot, but after about 15 seconds they all seemed to quickly fill in and it said the download was completed (it seemed to work).· After that it didn't happen again.· Each of my additional slots is completely full (DATA statements) and my interface is USB on a laptop, so I can't help but wonder if that first download experienced some sort of USB latency issue.· I will look further into it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2006-09-21 15:52
    Hi Randy,

I too have witnessed this but was not able to duplicate it with any certainty.· In either case, all the program slots get downloaded properly (there will be an error message if not) but the display just doesn't seem to continue to update in every case.· If you don't see an error message, it is safe to say that it all downloaded properly, based on my tests.

I've noted what you mentioned in my list of things to look into for the next version and I will try to resolve the problem.· Sorry for the inconvenience.

I also think I know what is causing the truncated display problem, so I will try to fix that in the same version.· Thank you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-09-22 00:42
    Chris and Jeff,

Thanks, I feel better at least knowing someone else has seen this happen. I won't bother calling support on Friday and I will cancel my apointment with the shrink. As I said it always loads okay and I don't really care about the graph, it is just bells and whistles, the text tells me the download is complete.

Bye the way, when you have a new version where to you place the notice? I don't remember ever seeing a notice for new versions. I am probably blinded when going to the forum hoping to find an answer to something I am thinking of and consequently pass over product info. I had a problem some time ago while using 2.1. Chris, or maybe it was John, suggested 2.5 and what do you know, it worked. Apparently 2.5 had been out for some time and I had no idea.

Thanks again to both of you. I know you have heard it often but Parralax support is second to none.

Randy