Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp or javelin — Parallax Forums

basic stamp or javelin

OwenOwen Posts: 100
edited 2006-09-18 02:03 in BASIC Stamp
Hi I'm looking for some advice for device I am building.
I'm building a device that must:
1. controll two stepper motors in a time sensitive manor (driver boards are not serialy controlled just "enable" "step" and "direction")
2. monitor temperature of the device
3. monitor batery voltage
4. trigger a still camera
5. stamp to pc conection via RF
5. and display the status of the device on an lcd display

the device needs to be able to drive the motors while doing 2-5 without interuption of the system
can anyone recomend the best stamp module to acomplish this? do I need the background procesing functions of the javelin or can a basic stamp 2 acomplish the task.

Thanks,
Owen

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-09-16 20:42
    "Time sensitive" is an ambiguous term. Move them within 1 mSec of being commanded? Move them within 10 mSec? 100 mSec?

If money is not a problem, and you want bragging rights, and you want to learn Java, the Javelin is a brilliant solution. It is $100 per module, however. It DOES have a LOT of memory compared to the BS2, and DOES have those "virtual I/O devices".

The BS2 MIGHT be able to do it, it depends on the timing you need. The stock BS2 cycles at about 300 uSec per instruction, with NO interrupts.

Certainly the SX/Basic could do it. However, the SX/Basic is not as capable yet as the BS2 PBasic. So there'd be some additional development time there.

Having said all that -- most people expect 'stepper motors' to move pretty synchronized, and it's not likely that a stock BS2 could move them close enough together for them to appear 'synchronized'.· Just a thought.
  • OwenOwen Posts: 100
    edited 2006-09-17 18:57
    my device may in the future controll the movement of a camera (video/film) ,pan and tilt from the input of an incremental encoders attached to hand weels one for pan one for tilt. how well can the javelin acept an incremental encoder signal and responsivly control a stepper motor?
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-09-18 02:03
    How much programming and/or electronics experience do you have? If you're comfortable with them, you might want to consider using the Propeller chip instead.

The Propeller has 8 independent processor cores; you can use as many or as few as you need. In addition, it has a ton of capability built in to the hardware, like video and audio.

Here is a post to a recent article if you are interested in looking into it:

[noparse][[/noparse]url]http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=139282[noparse][[/noparse]url]