Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Accelerometer <-> ADC? <-> Homework Board — Parallax Forums

Accelerometer <-> ADC? <-> Homework Board

Coin BirdCoin Bird Posts: 2
edited 2006-09-16 15:32 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi!

I recently grabbed a good deal on the "What's a Microcontroller" BS2 kit, which has been a lot of fun to experiment with.

I ordered an analog accelerometer (DE-ACCM3D from Dimension Engineering.) Since I have the BS2 HomeWork Board which I'd like to use with it, I am assuming I'll need an A/D converter. (Not sure what project it will end up in; I'll probably hook it up to some LED's first, then maybe an r/c blimp.)

But, after browsing the site for a few hours (extremely useful and interesting) I haven't been able to definitively figure out:

1) Can I do A/D conversion on the BS2 that comes with the HomeWork board (and parts that I have with the kit) alone?
2) If no, is there a generally well-loved A/D board to use with the BS2 that I should acquire? Or is the A/D on-chip going to be slow (how fast would it update,) and should I just use a digital accelerometer for the BS2?
3) Does anyone anyone have experience with this accelerometer and the BS2? Google fails me in finding their pairing...

I appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-09-16 12:59
    Coin Bird -

The PBASIC Stamp has no direct or native A/D capability, although it can be simulated with the RCTIME command. Applications requiring a high degree of accuracy should probably use and external A/D chip such as the ADC083X which is well documented in the Parallax literature. The X represents the number of channels: 1, 2, 4, 8.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the accelerometer you're planing to use. My own experience has been with the accelerometers which Parallax sells from Analog Devices.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Coin BirdCoin Bird Posts: 2
    edited 2006-09-16 15:32
    Thanks for the reply! I will definitely have to experiment with the RCTIME method, but the chip(s) you describe sound like an ideal choice for what I'll need (for applications including my accelerometer and beyoooond *echoing voice*)