Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot Infrared — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot Infrared

Boe-botBoe-bot Posts: 1
edited 2006-09-16 03:33 in BASIC Stamp
········ My friend Paul and I are seniors at Berks Career and Technology Center taking electronic technology. We have been working with Boe-Bot for nearly a year.·We came to a conclusion of using it for our senior project, but are unsure of how to program it to do what we want. We became interested in making a circuit for or boe-bot that will allow us to transfer information from one Boe-Bot to another, by possibly using infrared. Basically programming the one Bot to run a certain course and having that Bot send the information to the other so we don't have to program both. Any help or recommendations will be appreciated. If you have any questions regarding what were trying to do email us at lildevil1322@comcast.net· or just reply to the post.

Thank you

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-15 17:18
    The same IR LEDs and IR sensor used for object avoidance can be used for communication. I recommend using the same protocol used for some remote controls. Download this book <http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/sic/WebIR- v1.1.pdf&gt;. It's chock full of examples, suggestions, circuits, etc.
  • willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-09-16 01:52
    This is the same system that Nasa uses for alot of there far far away robots, because it takes sometimes years to receve data they have a master controller control them and tell them what to do, i would definantly be interested in seeing one boebot log the correct path through a maze, at the end tell another boebot the data and the boe bot can go backwards through the maze without making an error. that would be incredibly difficult but the only way to handle sending data would be with an IR Buddy which parallax discontinued unfortunatley, or a TLC555 Timer which can send the correct pulses for the receiving robot to deciphor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Learn somthing about everything, and Everthing about somthing-
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-09-16 03:33
    Oh, for heavens sake. It's definitely possible to make a 1 mSec is a zero, 2 mSec is a one protocol using the collision avoidance hardware. It might be slow (one byte takes 8 mSec, so 125 bytes per second) but definitely do-able.

The minor problem is you need to store the path some way -- using an external 24L640 SPI EEPROM would be a good way to do that.