Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Garmin GPS 18 - 5 Hz — Parallax Forums

Garmin GPS 18 - 5 Hz

exp1exp1 Posts: 22
edited 2006-09-18 06:44 in BASIC Stamp
I first buy some products and then I am thinking how I will use them cool.gif

I have found some information sabout garmin etrex GPS. But it seems that GPS 18 will need a bit different approach. Does anyone has any deom program to show me ?

I have seen the technical specifications of this GPS and it connections seems quite simple even for a beginner like me.
But I think that there must be many different commads that someone is able to sed through his program to the module.

Does anyone has even some basic commands to initialise the GPS in order to take some informations ?

Thank you in advance,
exp1

Comments

• JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-09-15 09:57
    Have a look at N&V article #103 (and there is a later one too) available free at:

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/nvcolumns/Nuts_Volts_Downloads_V4.asp

There are no "initialization" commands to send to a gps unless you want to tell it about a D-GPS station, upload almanac data etc.

James
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-09-15 14:13
    Do you have the USB version or the Serial version? You won't be able to use the USB version with the stamps (even the USB based stamps)....some of the newer UPS's coming out (magellan) are only USB and will put a damper on us hobbyists until someone figures out how to interface two slave USB devices (honestly haven't looked in the last while to see if this has already happened!).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • exp1exp1 Posts: 22
    edited 2006-09-15 16:06
    Javalin said...
    Have a look at N&V article #103 (and there is a later one too) available free at:

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/nvcolumns/Nuts_Volts_Downloads_V4.asp

There are no "initialization" commands to send to a gps unless you want to tell it about a D-GPS station, upload almanac data etc.

James

I haven't got any email from the forum administrator hmm.... that's why I haven't answered

steve_b it is a serial one.

Javalin I have seen this column but I think that with the gps module you have some extra commadns that you are able to send in order to set the time and date or the baud rate for example. The GPS that the column talks about is a normal with HCI but the mdule does not has any thus I think that with some commands someone could give some extra commands.

I say all these based on the datasheet that I have skimmed though.
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2006-09-15 16:28
    The time and date should set after a minute or so once the GPS has got a sat-lock.

The baud rates should be OK, unless you have reason to change them. The change proceedure is on page 35 of the tech-spec attachment above. In essense it is a series of serial bytes/characters sent to the unit.

James
  • exp1exp1 Posts: 22
    edited 2006-09-18 06:44
    Thank u James for the info