Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
bluetooth.. how easy? whats it talk to? — Parallax Forums

bluetooth.. how easy? whats it talk to?

Rob311Rob311 Posts: 83
edited 2006-09-16 20:34 in BASIC Stamp
Ive scanned over the forum a few times, and i get the impression that Bluetooth mod http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30068·is easy to use.
i have a few questions...
1) is it actually easy?
·
2) is it true that i can not use it to program the stamp itself, unless i plug the header into different pins on the bs2? (programming pins)
·
3) can anyone recommend a fairly simple way to communicate with the transceiver via my desktop and/or my ppc? im looking for languages, i know some vb6, but i just found i can make nice pretty ppc programs with .net
·
4) is it worth it? i have no specific goal, but i have the itch to play with a wireless robot that i build... would i be better off just getting the rf transceiver package? http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28180·i assume i can make that connect to my serial port and just us it as a link.. but that’s a different topic all together..
·
and most importantly
·
5) is it actually easy? my specialty is mechanical engineering... electrics is just a hobby...

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-09-15 00:53
    You can use it as part of this kit (Boe-Bot Kit for Microsoft Robotics Studio):

www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28118

This kit is a good way to get going, since almost everything that you need is in one box. You'll need a Bluetooth PC adapter, as well as software downloads. All of the links are on the page.

Here's another possible wireless option (Martin Hebel's ZigBee AppMod):

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=601155

I think Martin Hebel will be selling these soon, you'll have to contact him for more details.

For the Boe-Bot kit, things shouldn't be too difficult, since it's all designed to work together. As for going beyond the kit, there are a lot of possibilities, for programming or electronics. It kind of depends on your interests.

If you 're still in college, you could round out your ME courses with some electronics courses. If you're not in college, there are plenty of other resources available.
  • Rob311Rob311 Posts: 83
    edited 2006-09-15 10:35
    Well i already have a bs2 and a boe, im pretty good with that.
    If i buy just the bluetooth mod, will i be able to figure out how to use it?
    Would you recomend that for someone who just wants to play around?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-15 14:04
    Hello,

·· The EB500 supports Bluetooth SPP (Serial Protocol).· So you would be able to communicate serially with other wireless devices.· You can not program the BASIC Stamp with the EB500 regardless of which pins you connect it to, although it is designed to be plugged into the AppMod header, so anything else would require special wiring anyway.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • bietzbietz Posts: 22
    edited 2006-09-16 20:25
    Will my USB Boe-Bot (bought a month ago when the serial/USB nor the MS Robotics Studio Kit(!!) didn't come out yet) work with MS Robotics Studio if I only add an EB500 Bluetooth AppMod to it?
    I hope it does because I'm really interested on what MSRB can do!!

Thanks in advance
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-09-16 20:34
    Your Boe-Bot should work without a problem. The kit is just a convenient way to supply all of Parallax parts in one package for use with the MS software. You probably save a few dollars, too.