Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help file not comming up! — Parallax Forums

Help file not comming up!

willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
edited 2006-09-20 11:27 in General Discussion
When i goto open th ehelp fil through the stamp editor or through the actual help.exe it shows a hour glass and then it goes away, there never any help file show up. i looked in my Process Control when you hit CTRL + ALT + DLT and it says Help.exe but there isnt anything showing up! does anybody know how to fix this?

Windows XP Professional
Stamp Editor 2.2.6

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
-Learn somthing about everything, and Everthing about somthing-

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-09-14 19:57
    There is a work around for this issue.· You can click on the "Start" button in· Windows and then click on "Programs" and then click on the "Parallax" folder and open the "Help" file from there.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-09-14 23:07
    it come sup and says Cannot open file mk:MSITStore:C:\Program Files\Parallax Inc\Stamp Editor v2.2.6\PBASIC.chm when i try that and i think it say it anyways. i uninstalled and reinstalled and nothing works, it just started doing it not very long ago

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2006-09-15 04:17
    Dave......
    ············ ·said to open the help file when you go to start.........

Yes this work most of the time but some time it very slow to open i· do not leave the help file when·i am·not using it will make your computer
    run slow for some reason it·is when you go to complie your code this happens
    willthiswork89

You should go to·ADD and REMOVE and remove the stamp editor and the Help·and then look in Windows Explorer and remove ALL files that are not
    the files that you have saved for your project then reinstall the stamp editor that should work

This has happen to me·before the one thing have done is that all of the project files go into a folder STAMPS·DOWN LOADS so that way if have any problems
    with stamp editor then uninstall the program then reinstall it

One thing i have notice is that when you·do alot of changes to a routines in your CODE and want to open the HELP you can not do it
    or it·will lock up your computer and you will not know that it has lock up until try log off and it will not log off and shut down

This computer· is a·2005 laptop·with 512·mebites of memory and 1.4·GHz. CPU
    ·This also happens on a desktop i also have with·1.2 Ghz.CPU and·512 megbites of memory

And one time i got the BLUE SCREAN·Of DEATH that said Out of·Memory Dump this on Windows XP Home
    ·This happen on the laptop·computer·

Can some one tell if the Stamp Editor run in memory only when running·

·When you close the stamp editor dose the memory clear itself·or dose the memory countinue to hold the program and keep filling
    up and when you are out memory that it

It seem that even if you close the editor this dose not help any you are better off to restart your computer every so often this
    seem to work better

Now i also use the Stamp editor with Windows 98 SE and the samething seem to happen with it····it is an·older computer

Is there·a problem with editor or is there something else going on that i do not know about

Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 9/15/2006 4:39:01 AM GMT
    edited 2006-09-17 01:09
    i did all this and its not working!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2006-09-17 20:40
    willthiswork89

·Is this only program that you are having on your computer if so then you need to find all files the for the stamp editor and remove them
    or restore your computer to date before you had the problems with the stamp editor

Now if you are having other problem with other programs then use this program called spy bot and addware and see if this helps
    if not then you may have to use the restore disk that came with your computer and a complete system restore but if you do

this BACK ALL FILE THAT YOU WILL NEED BEFORE YOU DO THIS THEY WILL BE LOST FOR EVER (maybe not)··· sad.gif

And start over········ smile.gif

I have had to do this many times in the past if you can not fix the problems that you are having but ony do this if nothing
    else works

······· idea.gif····· I··hope this helps you···· idea.gif

Sam
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-17 20:47
    If you've uninstalled the BASIC Stamp Editor and re-installed it and you're getting a message that the help file is missing/not found when you try to run it from the Start Menu shortcut, then that is a sure sign that the shortcut is from a previous version or something is getting corrupted during installation.· We have had no reports of this issue before.· Try disabling any Anti-Virus software you have running when installing the software to be sure there is nothing conflicting with the installer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-17 23:10
    i go in and actually click th ehelp file from inside the install and it says it too

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-09-18 03:04
    When you click right on the .chm file you're getting an error that it cannot be found?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-19 00:45
    its not saying it cant be found it says it cant be opened?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-09-19 03:09
    Try the following link for a resolution...You should be able to change the security settings on the chm file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-09-19 11:13
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312456 you guys better keep this, im on beta version of Internet explorer, and they may not know there is a corrupted version of the hhCtrl.ocx this might be a big problem for you guys in the near future so ide keep this string handy lol

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp·that is the latest help update file to update that dumb thing so thanks for everyones concern i fixed it i think!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-09-20 11:21
    alright that actually didnt fix it, i rax xoft spy and it didnt find anything and i ran a washer and im going to google some more about it tell me if you guys find a fix!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-09-20 11:27
    alright this really did fix it lol, it seems that its a major problem with windows, but i fixed it! it wasnt you guys and it wasnt just your help file it was ALL help files if anyone needs help understanding this just hit me up on AIM willthiswork89 and i can explain it

) Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to ensure that all the help viewer components are properly installed and registered.

http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm

(This turned out to be key as the software discovered the ocx file I’d copied wasn’t “registered” and did that for me.)

2) Delete the file "hh.dat", which you should find in this subdirectory:

\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help

This file stores information about all the HTML Help files on your system (Favorites, window size and position, etc.), and can cause the files to misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔