Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
433 Modules — Parallax Forums

433 Modules

T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
edited 2006-09-19 03:36 in BASIC Stamp
Nothing to do with Stamps but I am ordering 5 sets of Tx and Rx modules and want to know if they are all at their own fixed or adjustable frequences. There are cases where they may operate in the same building with other sets, so I need each set to not interfere with each other. Thanks

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-13 01:14
    Hello,

·· All the 433 Transmitters are set to the same frequency.· So multiple transmitters at the same time could potentially cause problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-09-13 01:31
    Within a week I anticipate having 2.4GHz ZigBee/IEEE 802.15.4 adapters & modules ready for resale with examples for the BASIC Stamp. These devices act as a network, can be uniquely addressed, and multiple networks can have frequency channel or network ID seperation, and the prices will be in-line with the 433MHz units. The issues of media access, contention, and collisons are all dealt with internally by the protocol !!

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale - Electronic Systems Technologies

Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2006-09-13 04:21
    Thanks Chris, I figured so since it wasn't mentioned in the data sheets. That would be a problem.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-13 20:26
    As a side-note, in a system with multiple transceivers (transmitter and receiver) you can have a master/base station which will query/poll other remote/slave devices for information.· This way a single unit is in control of all communication and collision errors can be avoided.· It is possible...It just depends on the end application.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Peter WangPeter Wang Posts: 4
    edited 2006-09-14 20:37
    Hi,Martin,
    Could you give me more detial information for the ZigBee module for the BASIC Stamp? We have to plan to teach our students on the level2 or level3 use the module.

Thanks,

Peter
    Hope Chinese School -GB
    Maryland, MD
    edited 2006-09-14 21:16
    Hi Peter,
    We'll be using the XBee devices from www.maxstream.net. We will simply be providing an interface board so that maybe used more easily with the BASIC Stamp, SX or even Propeller. Since the XBee's are 2mm pins and 3.3V devices, they don't inteface easily with the BASIC Stamp. We will be providing an AppMod connector or a 6 pin SIP. Both will have 3.3V reg and buffering for 5V.

We'll be focusing on the current firmware version, which is primarily 802.15.4, though they do have betas in the works which provide ZigBee routing capabilities. All settings for the devices are configurable using serial AT commands. They are pretty slick units for wireless sensor networks for testing, experimentation and education in this area. We are using them to perform agricultural monitoring at SIU.

THe costs for the adapters will be around:
    $25 for an unsoldered SIP kit, $45 soldered (hard labor, lol)
    $35 for unsoldered AppMod kit, $55 soldered

XBee's not included, which will be $22 for a 1mW version and $35 for 60mW.

I'm not thrilled about getting into hardware sales at this point, but I find them so great for research and education, I wanted a way to make them available to many.

Attached is an early version of the documentation with plenty of good BASIC Stamp examples of use. Also, check out the docs at www.maxstream.net on the XBee's.

By early next week we should be ready to take orders.

-Martin Hebel

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale - Electronic Systems Technologies

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-14 21:32
    Martin, I'd be interested in two SIP kits. Mike Green
    edited 2006-09-14 21:45
    It'd be a priveledge Mike you Propeller guru you [noparse]:)[/noparse]· I'll post when the info/ordering pages are up.

As a side note, our Ag nodes will be Propeller based able to be reconfigured in field with a keyboard and LCD screen / or LCD video depending on power issues for the video.· We will be continuing with that design and programming this semester.
    -Martin
    edited 2006-09-15 01:03
    Martin,
    Very glad to see the information, I will order two sets for our first test in BASIC Stamp, since our students have this BOE-bot.
    I will plan to have the level 3 project for our students:
    1. make command from PC via wireless networking to bot.
    2. let bot go somewhere to see some stuff, use video CAM.
    3. Maybe tell PC where it is for the position via the GPS.
    4. Let bot to pick up one color stuff, red or blue...
    5. send it to one place where PC 's command.
    6. come back to "home".

This project will let let students to know above knowledge and programming skills. Maybe BS2 can't hold so many tasks, Chris let us to use BS2pe, I need more reading, and do more test before start the new level 3 class.
    Welecom send any about to my e-mail: peterw_us@yahoo.com
    Thanks,

Peter
    edited 2006-09-17 03:30
    The AppBee adapters & devices for the XBee ZigBee / IEEE 802.15.4 RF Tranceivers are available!
    http://www.selmaware.com/appbee/home.htm

Thanks,
    Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

AppBee - XBee ZigBee / IEEE 802.15.4 Adapters & Devices
    edited 2006-09-18 16:46
    Martin,
    I have two questions,
    1. Does AppBee -SIP need power support while it connect to PC without BASIC Stamp2?
    2. What is difference with AppBee and eb500? eb500 also can make p2p communcation?

I want to set up one PC communcate with more Boe-bots, which one will be better? eb500:AppBee,
    I saw eb500 have not use AT command, but it is not big problems with students,

Peter
    edited 2006-09-18 19:15
    Hi Peter,
    Peter Wang said...
    Martin,
    I have two questions,
    1. Does AppBee -SIP need power support while it connect to PC without BASIC Stamp2?
    2. What is difference with AppBee and eb500? eb500 also can make p2p communcation?

I want to set up one PC communcate with more Boe-bots, which one will be better? eb500:AppBee,
    I saw eb500 have not use AT command, but it is not big problems with students,

Peter
    The AppBee-SIP does require external power in Vin and Vss, even if it's just a 9V battery clipped on.· With an 'assemble yourself', you can put a 9V clip on there instead of the male header and used the USB2SER for communications with the PC.· If the USB2SER had brought out the 3.3V it would have been ideal, but it doesn't shakehead.gif

The Bluetooth (802.15.3)·and WSN protocols are made for very different uses.· Bluetooth is a very high level protocol for moving large files if needed securely between 2 fairly sophisticated devices.· Though I have had multiple eb500's over the years in my classes, we always ran into issues and didn't get very far (and apparently I'm the only one who had issues spanning·3 sets of them), so I don't know all the ins and outs, but it's pretty much one point to another with breaking and making sessions.

WSN (802.15.4) is made for multiple addresable points for collecting data from many points or sending data to many points, either as broadcasts or point to point.· Your bots are a great example, with either a BS2 coordinator or a PC program, it would be fairly easy and quick to poll each bot or send each one different instructions based on addresses alone without the need for any BS2 code to analyze it to see if it's intended for it or not, and no need to negotiate.· Address and send.· With the bots, the RF can be in sleep mode, wake occasionally to poll the coordinator for new instructions, and power down again.

I'm doing ag research now, and bluetooth has been tested in the field.· Battery life is about 8 hours.· WSN's hope to achive months to years.· A lot of power is not wasted negotiating transfers and such, the protocol is a lot smaller and simpler. Plus add in the routing of ZigBee (not in current XBee firmware)·or via BS2 code...

Looking over the eb500 now, and their doc·is page and page upon code for opening a session, getting configuration info, etc etc.· The XBee's with AT codes require only a few strings to get the job done, such as setting addresses (or configured via the PC).· I think the docs I have posted with various examples show a pretty high level of flexibility with some pretty short code.·The units can be configured permanently where the only thing you need to do is send and receive data.· Though I do like their upright design for AppMod [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Sorry it's so big, I need to reduce some images.
    http://www.selmaware.com/appbee

For multiple point data collection and control, I think the XBee is great.·· The protocol is being used in home and building automation, things that microcontrollers such as the BASIC Stamp were meant for - sensing and control, and not moving files.

Between the 433MHz radios, eb500, and XBee's, the options are there for whatever needs the user has [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Hope this helps,
    -Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

edited 2006-09-18 23:23
    Hi Peter,
    I don't mean to push so much product on these pages, especially when it may compete against Parallax devices (but does push their main line!), but I thought I'd do a special for those interested in networking the devices.

Networking Specials
    3 AppBee-SIP kits with 3 XBee's 1mW - $129, save $20
    3 AppBee-SIP Assembled with3 XBee's 1mW - $159, save $30

Parallax folks, sorry again, last time, I promise!
    -Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Post Edited (Martin Hebel) : 9/19/2006 3:47:42 AM GMT
    edited 2006-09-19 03:36
    Martin,
    Thanks for your information, I will ask our group members in this Saturday,
    Best,