Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chip connection failed — Parallax Forums

Chip connection failed

RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
edited 2006-09-13 18:31 in General Discussion
I just soldered some headers on my SX52 proto board, checked for solder bridges, found none. When I try to RUN my LED prog to check whether the pins are live, first test, I get "Chip connection failed", close that error window and the next window shows that the "Download was successfull", but the program does not work as expected, nothing happens.

Does anybody know what causes a chip connection failure. Yes, I double checked to make sure that the SX-key was firmly seated.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-09-12 01:41
    Does the SX-Key header have 5 volts on it ?
    Make sure the MCLR pin is NOT held low.
    Can you program a new SX protoboard ?
    Just soldering header pins by itself should not make the SX not program.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

There are only two guaranteed ways to become weathy.
    Spend less than you make.
    Make more than you spend.
    ·
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2006-09-12 12:38
    Thanks Bean,
    I have three more SX52 proto boards left, I checked them out, and they program without any problem. I used the same power supply just to make sure the conditions were the same. The board that is giving me the problem is right out of the anti-static bag, it's brand new. Unfortunately, I did not test the board before I soldered it, I made an assumption that it was just fine. This makes two boards in a row that have now died with some kind of problem, the first one lasted about a month before it died, some kind of Vpp error comes up, and now this one. Either I am having some very bad luck, or ...

When I mentioned headers, that includes four apiece on the Vss, Vdd, and Vin. I will stop here, otherwise I will start sounding like a whiner.

Thanks

Ray
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2006-09-13 18:06
    Hey, I'm as happy as a pig in s***, I just finished soldering up another board with some pin headers, and it works. Now, the only thing that I can remember that happened on the last board was that when I was using some probes to check the Vdd,Vss, and Vin pins, I think I shorted out the pins, I remember the power LED blinking once or twice. Now the question is, is the processor that sensitive, that a short on the Vdd,Vss, or Vin pins, is enough to fry the the thing. I am still hoping somebody has an answer to the "Chip connection failed". It would be interesting to know, under what cicumstances that error code would come up.

Thanks

Ray
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-09-13 18:31
    If you connected Vin to Vdd, then yes that will almost instantly fry the SX chip.
    They don't take kindly to high voltages like that.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

There are only two guaranteed ways to become weathy.
    Spend less than you make.
    Make more than you spend.
    ·