Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Purple Computing USB to 232 no go — Parallax Forums

Purple Computing USB to 232 no go

matrixoperatormatrixoperator Posts: 8
edited 2006-09-13 22:26 in BASIC Stamp
After hours of trying to get a USB to 232 adaptor from Purple Computing to work, I read through the various postings of similar problems with other adaptors, supposedly related to improper hand shaking implementation. So unless someone has suggestions, or have experience of this unit working with BS1's I'm resigned to buying the Parallax offering which is half the cost of what I shelled out for the adaptor that isn't working. Am I correct in assuming that this Purple Computing adaptor would be incompatible with the SX-Key for the same reasons?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
reality is still analog

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-11 14:04
    It is possible that you may still have problems.· On many laptops the FIFO Buffers need to be disabled.· Some have a Latency setting instead of the FIFO Buffers...In these cases the lowest setting sometimes helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • matrixoperatormatrixoperator Posts: 8
    edited 2006-09-13 18:19
    I ordered/received a SX-Key and SX tech board; it works well with the Purple Computing USB > 232 adaptor. Now I'm just waiting for my ordered Parallax USB adaptor to make my BS1 useful again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    reality is still analog
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-13 20:37
    Is it a USB Adapter, or a BS1 Serial Adapter you're waiting for?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • matrixoperatormatrixoperator Posts: 8
    edited 2006-09-13 22:26
    I'm waiting for the USB to 232 adaptor, I already have the BS1 Serial adaptor which works well with my PC's 9pin serial port, but is not working with the Purple Computer adaptor. My new(er) laptop has no 9 pin serial port hence the need for an adaptor; that must be the price of upgrading I guess.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    reality is still analog