Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I forgot how fun robotics could be! — Parallax Forums

I forgot how fun robotics could be!

Chuck BChuck B Posts: 9
edited 2006-09-14 15:09 in Robotics
Hi,
I've mentored teams in building FIRST robots (about 120 pounds) and VEX robots. Tonight I wrote my first PBASIC program to control two LED's on a breadboard with the Boe-Bot kit. Even though the concept is simple, I was really excited about this. Unless you build a custom circuit with VEX or FIRST, there are no detailed electronics involved.

In 1985 I programmed a very expensive Navy Submarine navigation computer to play tic-tac-toe using an IBM typewriter as an output device. I remember the joy and pleasure I received doing that....tonight it came back. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Regards,
ChuckB

Comments

• George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2006-09-09 03:30
    ChuckB,

Sounds similar to me!· I worked on machine tools and foundry robots (1980s), and went on to work on very different stuff for years.· And have recently discovered the Basic Stamp treaasure trove.· Man, I am hooked!· I have not done much so far, but it is really interesting to me.· Looks like a "second time around" for both of us!

(I just noticed on your profile that you are an electronics instructor... guess I was a little wrong about 2nd time around for you!)

-George

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Chuck BChuck B Posts: 9
    edited 2006-09-09 18:17
    Hi George,
    You're not wrong! I was an electronic tech in Navy and I teach machine theory and operation...not so much at the electronic component level. For the past 10 years I have really gotten into computer programming....and away from electronics.

So now I'm combining the love of both once again.

Regards,
    Chuck
  • linuxgeeklinuxgeek Posts: 45
    edited 2006-09-14 15:09
    Chuck B said...
    Hi,
    I've mentored teams in building FIRST robots (about 120 pounds) and VEX robots. Tonight I wrote my first PBASIC program to control two LED's on a breadboard with the Boe-Bot kit. Even though the concept is simple, I was really excited about this. Unless you build a custom circuit with VEX or FIRST, there are no detailed electronics involved.

I know how you feel. I have been wanting to get in and build robots ever since I was in high school where I had my first real exposure to electronics. I took every electronics course that was offered and even wrote up an independent study for my senior year which had to do with sensors.

No, over 30 years later, I am finally able to get in and start fiddling with robotics. Reasonably priced components are available, chips, boards, and software, that anyone can get and put together if they want to. Robotics is an excellent learning opportunity for so many things!

Right now I am working towards building an Octapod, which will probably take me over a year to complete. I've been keeping a journal on my website if you or anyone is interested in what I am working on.

8-Dale

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I can handle complexity.. It's the SIMPLE things that confound me.
    The Dynaplex Network - Home of The Octabot Project
    http://www.thedynaplex.org