Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How do I increase the range of the Parallax 433 MHz RF Transmitter/Receiver ? — Parallax Forums

How do I increase the range of the Parallax 433 MHz RF Transmitter/Receiver ?

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2006-09-09 21:40 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi:

How do I increase the range of the Parallax 433 MHz RF Transmitter/Receiver ?

I need to capture sensor data , but I need more than 500' ,
Is it possible to increase up to 800, 1000, 1200 or more ?

Thanks, Joe confused.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-09-08 21:19
    These are low power devices that legally are constrained to transmit relatively short distances. Theoretically, you could attach a larger antenna both to the transmitter and receiver to increase your range. Best would be a simple 1/4 wave dipole which would be roughly 17-18cm. You'd need to tune it for maximum output at the transmitter and maximum received signal at the receiver. A ground plane would also help depending on the circumstances. The Amateur Radio Relay League publishes an excellent Handbook that includes a chapter on antennas. They also publish a separate ARRL Antenna Book, both chock full of information on antennas. Check their website (www.arrl.org).

There are a variety of companies that manufacture similar transmitter/receiver pairs that operate at higher power for more range. They may also sell larger antennas, also to help with range.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-09-09 19:13
    Some antennas are directional. That would help get more distance. Also, this information has been around a long time. Try your public library for ARRL literature and save some bucks. Just because the book was written in 1965 doesn't mean it is not useful for antenna design.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-09-09 21:40
    Could be you can track down some info for fashioning a corner reflector (retro-fit.)