Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using 2 Stamps — Parallax Forums

Using 2 Stamps

spainespaine Posts: 51
edited 2006-09-05 00:44 in BASIC Stamp
I know that you could you two stamps to process in theory, but has anyone done it in practice? Are there pitfalls that I should watch for?

Thanks,
Stephen

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-09-01 11:47
    Stephen, I have just made a piggyback for one of the forum members that allows you to stack one Stamp on top of another.· The only thibng to watch out for is to make sure each Stamp has its own programming input, and that they share 3 I/O ports for serin, serout and flow control.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-09-01 13:57
    Sid -

Is this something you may be offering for sale? If so, let me know, and count me in.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • spainespaine Posts: 51
    edited 2006-09-01 14:31
    Thanks Sid,

So if I read correctly I could have two stamps communicating at run-time, but that I should leave the programming ports available, and I need to dedicate three pins (serin, serout, and flow control) on each stamp.

May I ask what you did in the way of providing Flow Control programatically?

Thanks again,
    Stephen
    edited 2006-09-01 14:34
    Bruce, I'm making a second one for the same customer.· I improved the design a bit -· there just wasn't enough room to plug in the bottom Stamp when it was assembled, so I made it so the top Stamp platform plugged into the bottom Stamp platform.· The top Stamp has a DB9 pigtail for programming and the Stamps share pins 5, 6 and 7 for serin, serout and flow control.· They will be for sale - I'll post a picture of the new one as soon as I get it finished.· I'm making the boards on SuperMill so that will keep the cost down a bit.

Sid
    edited 2006-09-01 14:47
    Steve, that is correct.· The top Stamp is the slave and once it receives instructions from the Master, it can perform a task or tasks, then when it is finished it goes back to the start and waits for another instruction.· In the mean time, the Master can be performing another task.· That is why the flow control, which follows the protocol discussed the the Stamp Editor Help section, is so necessary.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver

·
    edited 2006-09-02 15:11
    Made a small improvement to the 2-Stamp piggyback -·I installed a 4-pos female header in the four holes for the programming connection and put a 4-pin male header on the end of the DB9 cable.· Now then you can unplug the DB9 cable when you don't need it - makes things a bit neater.· Soon as I get the rest of the parts I'll finish the assembly and post some pictures.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver

·
  • Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-09-05 00:44
    This piggyback module is a great product, and Sid is a great guy. I emailed him with my request and he had the products done in a few weeks. Due to shipping problems on my end the stamp piggyback is sitting in the post office right now. I will post and let you know how it works!!!