Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Recommend me a Motor Contoller — Parallax Forums

Recommend me a Motor Contoller

HavoKaneHavoKane Posts: 109
edited 2006-09-03 19:10 in BASIC Stamp
can anyone recommend me a 20+ amp motor contoller, that supports 2 motors (individual motor control) and supports reverse, is (relativley) inexpensive, and that is interfaceable with my bs2? i cant seem to find any at a resonable price...

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-31 21:17
    You didn't list a motor voltage, but if it's between 6 and 16V you could use the HB-25.· Linked below for your convenience.· Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=29144

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-08-31 21:31
    You would need two HB-25's for independent control for two motors.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • HavoKaneHavoKane Posts: 109
    edited 2006-08-31 23:06
    the motors are between 6 and 16v, but i was looking more from 1 device that can control 2 motors. or a cheaper device that i can buy 2 of. trying to keep it below $80.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-09-01 05:57
    HavoKane -

Take a look at the L298 chip (data sheet attached). Pay attention to Figure 6 in the applications section.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    L298.pdf 595.4K
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-01 14:19
    Handling 20+ Amps at that kind of a price may be very difficult.· You may have to build an H-Bridge.· Bear in mind that an H-Bridge would still require a PWM driver to give you speed control.· Total DC Current on the L298 is about 4A.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • terahertzterahertz Posts: 55
    edited 2006-09-01 21:06
    I did a search for a 20+ amp motor controller last week and I couldn't find anything better or cheaper than the HB-25. I ended up ordering an HB-25, should be here Tuesdayyeah.gif

I've used a few LM298's in the past. You can feed the PWM signal into the enable pin to control speed. I haven't tried the BS2 method of PWM yet·(it's not "true" PWM) so I don't know if it will work. Another thing about the LM298 is you·will NEVER get the full rated current output, even with -1VDC on the sense pin. If you try to pull more than 25% of rated current through an LM298 you will need a good sized heat sink.

Havokane, Watcha makin that needs 20 amps?·jumpin.gif

I'm building a semi-autonomous boat/submarine. As soon as I get more of it assembled I'm going to post in the projects section. The HB-25 and the BS2 are going to control the·main propulsion which is two ~10A trolling motors. I've designed but not yet built a self winding reel system, when the boat submerges the antenna array will stay on the surface and be connected to the vessle by cables at a constant tension.
  • HavoKaneHavoKane Posts: 109
    edited 2006-09-03 19:10
    anybody know?