Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spinning my wheels on the Spin language. — Parallax Forums

Spinning my wheels on the Spin language.

Richy_RichRichy_Rich Posts: 5
edited 2006-09-07 16:56 in Propeller 1
Hello,

I have been trying to find some reference material for Spin.· The language reference
in the handbook does not include most of the statements I have come across in the
Demo objects.

For example, I caannot find anything about text.xxxxx anywhere in the book or elsewhere
for that matter. Is there a reference somewhere defining the different methods ( I think
that's what I mean ) such as text.start, .out, .str etc. ?

What I have seen reminds me of C from along time ago.· Is it the same command set and
format as C?

Thanks for any help,
Richard

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-08-31 00:04
    Can I recommend that rather than searching for specifics you do some more general reading in the manual, it really is worth it.

Read chapter 3 and you will then understand that when you see:

text.start

it is running the start method within an object called text. Now the object is some code written by you or someone else, and it will be stored in a spin file, in the program where you see text reference look near the top and you will see something like
    OBJ
          text: "tv_text"

That creates an instance of the object tv_text called text though you could have called it anything you wanted.

Look in the tv_text.spin file and click the documentation radio button to see what other functions are available and how to use them.

Graham
  • linuxgeeklinuxgeek Posts: 45
    edited 2006-08-31 03:22
    Graham Stabler said...
    Can I recommend that rather than searching for specifics you do some more general reading in the manual, it really is worth it.

Read chapter 3 and you will then understand that when you see:

text.start

I just got to this section in the manual. It really IS worth reading the manual. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I can handle complexity.. It's the SIMPLE things that confound me.
    The Dynaplex Network
    http://www.thedynaplex.org
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-09-06 18:20
    Hi Richard,
    Beyond the advice of reading chapter 3, anything you see that is xxxx.yyyy is a function call into an object. The dowload-able documents do not cover the contents·released·objects. Directions on the use of functions within the object are provided in the object itself in the form of code documentation and comments. Part of my job (this is my second day) will be to flesh in some documentation on some of the objects. It will be a little while before I will start on this and I will likely start with the more complex and fairly static objects (such as graphics.spin) first.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-09-06 18:26
    Hurray!!

That will make all the difference. Are you also commenting the code more verbosely (that word is catching)? I found that I was hindered in learning at the start because I didn't know enough spin to understand what the code was doing on a basic level, even before looking at the functions of the objects. In some ways some of the code it too good, they use some neat tricks the beginner might struggle to understand at first.

Graham
    edited 2006-09-06 20:08
    No, I will not be altering the objects themselves. There may be an application note at some point that would explain some tricks, but that will be a seperate document.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2006-09-07 01:37
    Paul:

What format would you use for documenting these objects? A file somewhere on the Parallax site? Or perhaps a thread in this forum?

Thanks in any case,

J
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-09-07 14:19
    Paul,
    Add my Hurray!!.
    Any words of wisdom about graphics will be more than welcome.
    Whish you the best.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-09-07 14:27
    Hurray from me too!

Like Graham, I too have found it hard -- though not impossible -- to undertsand what's possible, and it's clearly going to make newbies' (like me) lives easier with fully documented objects. I presume that you'll be putting the documentation inside the objects' spin files, rather than creating a new document somewhere wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2006-09-07 16:56
    At this point Im thinking the documents will be in pdf format, like the manual, but will stand seperate from the manual. In what manner they will be accessible through the website has yet to be determined (Likely to be posted in the forums when first availible). First up is very likely going to be a document on the counters, no specific time frame on when it will be availible (It's only my 3rd day and theres other things on my plate, but it will be in weeks not months).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.