Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ebay Topway 16x2 serial lcd problem. — Parallax Forums

Ebay Topway 16x2 serial lcd problem.

rikniknoknikrikniknoknik Posts: 7
edited 2006-08-30 19:14 in BASIC Stamp
http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-16x2-w-serial-1-pin-controller-chips-BASIC-STAMP_W0QQitemZ290005727312QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36332QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

First off stick that link into your browser to see what Im talking about. Second. I bought this thing off ebay like a year ago and built it into a radio shack soldering pcb. I attached 5vdc to it and got nothing I adjusted the contrast control back and forth only to see black lines at times. I put the lcd away and left it in the closet for a year well protected. Recently I thought I would pull it out of the closet to check it out once more. So thinking that I might have built the circuit wrong a year ago, I desoldered everything and rebuilt the circuit using a new pcb. Still am getting the same thing. the kit uses an atmel I think as an interpreter. Please Parallax help me, I am using a bs2sx a super carrier board and Basic Stamp IISX Software version 1.1 copyright 1998 through windows 98 in msdos mode. Also I did hook the lcd up to my power supply and hooked up the serial wire to pin 10 and wrote serout 10, 16780, [noparse][[/noparse]"YO", cr] still nothing. The lcd has 16 pins on it. It is a Topway LMB162abc. I think the interpreter chip might be bad . Maybe I could just hook the lcd up in a parallel configuration? Anyhow, sleepless in Phoenix- Andrew Smiley cry.gif

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-08-30 10:42
    First step - download and install the latest version of Basic Stamp Windows IDE 2.2.6 from here www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_basic_stamp.asp
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-30 12:22
    Andrew -

Here is the data sheet for your LCD (attached). It may help you in troubleshooting the problem.

One thing is clear from the data sheet, and that is that you must wait 50·mS before you use it to allow it to go through its initialization routine.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-30 16:01
    This is a duplicate post...Or rather the one I already replied to is a duplicate post.· These definately cause confusion.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=603374

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • rikniknoknikrikniknoknik Posts: 7
    edited 2006-08-30 17:46
    Okay great, looks like I am on my way then today to try to get this thing to work parallel. Could someone give me some code to use in parallel mode for the bs2sx to get started? I am really happy that a response was made so quickly , thank you so much. Oh and someone needs to call the Frys Electronics here on 32nd avenue and Thunderbird road here in Phoenix, Arizona and ask them what they were thinking pulling all their basic stamp stuff!! They told me it wasnt moving enough.cry.gif
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-30 19:14
    Hello,

·· The link I posted has some code that should work for you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com