Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Board size for final project — Parallax Forums

Board size for final project

killervettekillervette Posts: 16
edited 2006-08-29 21:29 in BASIC Stamp
Ok, so lets say i want to make a simple device that senses the temperature with a ds1620 and reports it to either a lcd· or·3 seven segment leds.· Obviously i dont want to use the homework board since its kinda big and not made for· a final product.· What are my options.· I am very new to making these devices, so try and be specific if you could.· thanks.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-08-29 14:24
    You might try the "Stamp 2 Carrier Board" with a Parallax 2x16 LCD.· Here are a couple of links for the board and LCD:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27120

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27976

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • killervettekillervette Posts: 16
    edited 2006-08-29 17:07
    Ok, but how do you get real small devices then. If i were to buy a temperature guage in a store it would be tiny compared to that board ^. What is the difference? I told you i was new to this [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-08-29 20:26
    I understand that you are new to this, however, can explain in detail exactly what you are looking for?· Baiscally you are going to need some sort of microcontroller to read the temperature sensor and display that information LCD.· There are several types and packages of teperature modules that are available.· Here is a link to some of the sensors that we carry:· http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/componentshop/sensors.asp

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • killervettekillervette Posts: 16
    edited 2006-08-29 20:56
    i want to make a simple device to read a ds1620 temp sensor and display it on a small lcd. I have the basic stamp homework board and the temp sensor.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-29 21:29
    If you want something quite small, you're going to have to design and make (or pay someone else to make) your own printed circuit board. I'm sure you could use a 0.1" perforated board, glue a couple of sockets on it, and mount the whole thing on the back of a 20 x 2 line parallel LCD display that's fairly small (look at Parallax's LCDs). You could fit the BS2 and the DS1620 and use the 5V regulator built-in to the BS2 to power it since the LCD takes so little power. You'd have to do really careful point-to-point wiring, but there are not that many connections needed. The only thing you need that you don't have now is the LCD. If you're willing to tear apart an existing device, the Parallax LCD AppMod only costs $15 and has an 8x2 display with a parallel controller and lots of examples of its use. I think the LCD plugs into the AppMod board, but it may be soldered and should be easy to remove.