Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
doing project now — Parallax Forums

doing project now

amanaman Posts: 4
edited 2006-10-05 09:41 in Learn with BlocklyProp
im doing a project on smart navigational for blind people. and im using ultrasonic sensors for this purpose. i'll be using 6 ultrasonic sensors, 4 motors and 1 audio for the I/O. I was told that basic stamp is the easiest interface that i can use in my project. i've read the spec for the basic stamp. but the technician at the lab told me that it has 15 I/O and 4 are only for motors. is that true? theres a bit conflict now. im still in the documentation of my project but i want to do some experiments right away, so that what im doing is in the right path. HELP PLS... idea.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Life is like a bar of chocolate... you'll never know what you're gonna get - Forest Gump

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-08-29 02:45
    Can you give us an idea of what the I/O are? You may be able to use some simple devices to extend the number of output or input bits.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale - Electronic Systems Technologies

Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-29 17:12
    No, all 16 I/O pins can be used for input or output. In fact, they can change role on-the-fly (like for a SHIFTOUT/SHIFTIN bus).

That does assume you're using "Servo Motors" -- which can be controlled with a single I/O pin.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-29 17:47
    aman -

Better even than accepting what we're saying here, you should download a copy of the "PBASIC Syntax and Reference Manual" for yourself, so you can dispell any other faulty information you may be told about the PBASIC Stamp. One of the real beauties of ALL Parallax products is they they're FULLY and CAREFULLY documented, and that information is freely available for download. Here is where you can obtain a copy of that PBASIC manual:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/basicstamps/documentation_basic_stamp.asp

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • amanaman Posts: 4
    edited 2006-09-02 13:18
    thanks for all of ur advice, i'll download the documentation and try to understand more on the basic stamp. actually im using in the mechatronics system design lab but they're only explaining the basic functions only. there will be a workshop on basic stamp in my university. i'll try to ask more sensible questions there. thanks a lot [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Life is like a bar of chocolate... you'll never know what you're gonna get - Forest Gump
  • amanaman Posts: 4
    edited 2006-10-05 07:53
    i am using an ultrasonic sensor. not the parallax module. to be exact, i am using a tranceiver ultrasonic sensor named murata. here is the spec of the ultrasonic sensor.

http://my.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=1006205

i know that the input for the sensor is 20V and i need to use an amplifier to make it work. the question is that can i connect the ultarsonic sensor directly to the basic stamp or i need to use an interface circuitry so that the ultrasonic can receive and transmit waves?? if yes... could you recommend me a website that can interface the sensor with the basic stamp. i have search many sites but it turns out blank... i really need someone help here and fast. another question is that the ultrasonic module parallax, do they have a circuit before the output can be read by the basic stamp??
    because i could not see the module's picture clearly. HELP.................

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-10-05 09:41
    aman -

I'm afraid all you've purchased is an ultrasonic transducer and nothing more. There is NONE of the necessary support circuity which will be needed for ultrasonic echo-location or ranging.

The Parallax PING))) Ultrasonic Sensor is COMPLETE and contains all of the necessary support circuitry, as well as providing an appropriate interface for a PBASIC Stamp, or any other micro-controller or computer.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->