Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Seemingly Easy Problem — Parallax Forums

Seemingly Easy Problem

brettbrett Posts: 1
edited 2006-08-28 05:03 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, I have what seems to be a very simple problem, but I can't really get a clear idea from anyone on how to solve it.

All I want to do is be able to program two cheapo linear actuators (12vdc) to move as I see fit at the push of a button.

How can I do this? I am considering buying the PLC Parallax sells, but I am thinking I might be able to just use the bs2 stamp I already have to do it. I just don't understand how I would hook up the actuators to whatever I was programming the commands into.

Thanks a lot,
Brett

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-28 05:03
    Brett -

Most linear actuators operate the same as stepper motors, it's just that their mechanical action is different. Unless you use a stepper motor controller, you won't be able to actuate both of them simultaneously from a PBASIC Stamp, but I'm not sure that was your intent. They can be operated concurrently, however.

There are simple stepper motor driver chips, complex stepper motor driver chips, simple stepper motor control boards and complex stepper motor control boards, depending on your needs, and your particular application. In any/all cases a stepper motor driver chip, or stepper motor control board (if either is used) can be driven by a PBASIC Stamp.

More information may elicit a better or more complete answer.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 8/28/2006 5:07:46 AM GMT