Hello Andrew:

It's right here http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=552-00007

The part number is 552-00007.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • andand Posts: 7
    edited 2006-08-29 00:44
    hi Ken

Thanks I have the part·number of the·Sxkey but I need the component part number·while I wait for the part to be shipped to me. I blew it up while trying out a project but am now not able to use the sx key

can you help

Andrew
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-08-29 01:02
    Andrew;

I assume you meant to post a picture of the damaged component, but the picture is not visible in the post. Maybe you could try and re-attach picture?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
    edited 2006-08-29 14:02
    hi John

Thanks but the part is burnt beyound reconition. I was hoping some one with the sxkey could indentify it and post it here

Andrew
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-08-29 14:47
    Hey,

this is not a guesswork forum. Unless you specify where the damaged part is on, and post a photo showing the damaged part and some surrounding parts, there is no chance that anyone can help you.

The information you have provided so far comes close to a question like "My SX is not working - what is wrong?" In this case, I would answer: "The cause is the power supply - turn it off, and the problem is gone".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-08-29 15:04
    Let me take a guess...

Assuming that a component on your SX-Key is blown - if it is one of the two cuboid-shaped parts close to the SUB-D9 connector and the round part (which is a coil), you have killed a 15µF/10V electrolytic capacitor. It is most likely that it fries when you apply the wrong supply polarity. Nevertheless, other components, like the SX20 may also have been sent to "component's heaven" without sending a "smoke signal" before, so good luck!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

Günther
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2006-08-29 16:47
    Andrew,

It sounds like you have already ordered the SX-Key, and you should get it in the next day or so depending on the type of delivery you selected. I ordered the SX-Blitz on the 24th when the sale was announced, and I got it yesterday on the 28th. I specified the cheapest US postal service delivery, and it only took 4 days.

I bought the SX-Blitz as a backup in case I fry my SX-Key. It's a great deal at $20. If I were you, I wouldn't try to repair your SX-Key unless you're experienced in soldering and electronics.

Dave
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2006-08-29 17:44
    Andrew,

Consistent with our theme of shooting in the dark about your problem (didn't know you'd be inundated with "help"?) and not knowing if you're trying to fix an SX-Key or awaiting a shipment of a replacement, I would have made the offer to send you a replacement a few days ago if you had destroyed the tool and were actually considering a repair. It probably would have arrived at your doorstep by now.

So, let us know what's up and be clear with the problem.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-08-30 00:21
    thanks
    edited 2006-09-10 06:35
    Hi
    I now have the 2·nos of·sx key and 2 nos of sx blitz.

of these one of the sx key is burnt
    the faulty part is the 3 pin device part no 489 (circled in Picture)

My question now is can any one tell me what this parts is and where I can source for It.

I am considering using the sx blitz for parts scavenging but
    this is my last resort

I·would like to repair the sxkey and not destroy the blitz in the process this was my intention for purchasing two sx blitz

Ken my order ID: 50929,
    Tell Kristina Steward thanks I got the order

Thanks
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-09-10 12:33
    andrew,
    Your picture didn't make it.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

There are only two guaranteed ways to become weathy.
    Spend less than you make.
    Make more than you spend.
    ·
    edited 2006-09-10 16:36
    Andrew,

the part numbered 489 is an FMMT489 transistor. This is an NPN silicon planar transistor with very low equivalent on-resistance (Rce(sat) = 175 mOhm at 1A Ice). This transistor is used in the DC/DC converter section to generate the programming voltage. You must have done bad things to your SX-Key to burn that transistor, and I'm not sure if other parts also have been "silently" killed, i.e. w/o generating smoke. When this transistor is the only damaged part, you should still be able to use this SX-Key for reading out a programmed SX, or to use the IDE option Run/Clock to generate a clock signal for an SX. Run/Debug (reenter) should also work (provided you have an SX already programmed for debugging, and the matching souce code). When these functions don't work, or when the SX-Key IDE reports an error like "SX-Key not found on COM???", then other parts are dead as well. Should the IDE report something like "Vpp generation failed" when you try to program or debug an SX, you might be lucky, and the FMMT489 is the only part that is dead.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-09-10 16:39
    Sorry, I forgot: You can order the FMMT489 from Digikey (make sure to get one in an SOT23 package).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
    edited 2006-09-11 01:49
    Thanks Gunther

Yeah I did a really stupid thing.
    I was trying to interface a PIR Module to a SX28 and output it to rs232.
    I built the board supplied voltage on 4 aaa size batterys using 2 x 9v connectors that had to be cut and customised to fit battery casing.

Project only runs for 6hrs. So tried to modify the connector to connect to a 6V Lead acid battery
    but forgot to check the polarity killing the SX key that was connected, fried the 489 in the process (lights and smoke)

I am trying to find the 489 locally (live in Singapore(We are hosting the IMF)) before trying your website

thanks also Bean
    I didn't realize my post picture was not displayed

Andrew