Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-bot as TV remote — Parallax Forums

Boe-bot as TV remote

RonBRonB Posts: 5
edited 2006-08-29 01:35 in Robotics
I've found some posts and stuff on sending the boe-bot IR control signals, but I want to go the other way around...and send IR signals to cable box...which is in another room....idea is to program boe-bot to go to the next room, change channels and return so I don't have to get up and do it.

The navigation code won't be a problem, but wondering if I can do the IR signaling with the IR LEDs in the boe-bot kit, or will I need to buy more parts. Any code samples would be nice too.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ron

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-08-28 18:10
    I would imagine that you could hack·a universal TV remote and program the I/O pins to send out a·list of favorite channels.· You could mount the remote on an angle according the the height of·the TV.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-08-29 01:01
    What you describe sounds like the old fashioned remote my parents had long ago. (They didn't want to get up to change the channel either.)

It was pipedal, a bit clumbsy early on, but developed smoother action as it was trained. It did take lots of recharging, and eventually my parents encouraged the remote to leave the house, which I eventually did smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • RonBRonB Posts: 5
    edited 2006-08-29 01:35
    Thanks for the replies. I did some further digging at lunch today and found that the BS2 isn't really fast enough to form the characters well, without even considering a "1" bit needs to be modulated at 38 to 40 KHz. Oh well. Bought a cheap universal remote on the way home. First time I've taken a gadget apart in years...where'd all the parts go!?!?! lol

John, my parents had the same kind of remote, but my grandparents and one of my uncles used to have the old "clicker" remotes...used to be fun to start jiggling a keyring and have their TVs randomly change channels, volume go up or down, or turn on or off...never really knew what would happen. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron