Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help im scared — Parallax Forums

help im scared

edited 2006-08-28 01:49 in BASIC Stamp
Time Required to Complete Initial Programming

Boe-Bot SumoBot The Toddler QuadCrawler HexCrawler

40 hours 40 hours 60 hours 20 hours 20 hours

This is what it says on the parallax web site is it true that i takes 40 hours to program the boe bot that a long time did they mean 40 mins. cry.gif that is a long time i dont have that much time to write programs i just boght the boe bot for $61 with tax and two day shipping smile.gifhop.gifjumpin.gifidea.gifroll.giflol.gif that cheap right im new to boe bots and parallax i am a mindstorm fan freaked.gif

go to my web site to see some of my advanced lego mindstorm robots and soon to be boe bots\

ok ethan steckmann

Comments

• KB3JJGKB3JJG Posts: 95
    edited 2006-08-27 18:09
    Strait from the boebot description.
    The Boe-Bot robot takes about 1-2 hours to put together, though each project in the Robotics text provides a unique new experience of wiring and source code tuning. Completing the entire set of projects takes 50 hours and is suitable for anybody over 12 years of age said...
    (replace this text with what was said)
    This is a total number for completing all the projects. Once you work through the boebot projects be prepared to spend additional time exploring the pbasic programming language. You can get a head start while you wait by downloading one of the many available resources from the downloads section.

Here is alink to the boebot student manual to help you get started.
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/edu/Roboticsv2_2.pdf

Post Edited (KB3JJG) : 8/27/2006 6:19:08 PM GMT
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-08-27 18:52
    Ethan,

The Parallax Stamps in Class courses are designed to be an educational experience, so they give you an estimated amount of time to carefully read, work through, and understand the material.

Once you've built the Boe-Bot, you could download or copy/paste the funal program and have the robot running in minutes -- but the only thing you will have learned is how to download or copy/paste a program.

Some of the courses are written by people with advanced degrees, or teaching college engineering courses. So you can learn a lot about electronics, microcontrollers, and robotics. But unless your brain has an "instant download" feature that nobody else has, it will require some effort & some time.

Where is the link to your website?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-08-27 19:43
    You don't have to actually program, you can download the completed example programs and just test and modify them.

This is not about typing. It is about learning and exploring.
    Above all, the most important thing is to read and really understand the text.
    Then, the next important thing is to do each task as a learning experience and try to identify what you have learned.

Finally, try to be creative.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • RongRong Posts: 25
    edited 2006-08-28 01:49
    Everything in the world that is worth something is worth the time it takes to master it. An "instant gratification" mindset is not the best arena for learning anything. Even the computer you used to send your message required you to spend some time learning how to use it, correct? My son had the same reaction to the BoeBot when I introduced him to them. He hated the idea of "40 hours ofprogramming". He is fourteen years old. I got past that with him, and he tackled the kit. He is now working his way through the BoeBot material, and is enjoying it all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron Giuntini

San Francisco