Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Suggestion for the forum — Parallax Forums

Suggestion for the forum

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2006-09-03 21:12 in Propeller 1
One of my hobbies is micro RC model aircraft and I moderate a forum on the subject. The people who do this hobby are so nice there is really no need for a moderator so I found myself with time to do things to encourage the members.

The best thing I ever did at a friend's suggestion was to create a sticky index thread. This is generally the only sticky thread on the forum and it contains links to the most useful and generally cool threads that people just don't want to loose. I maintain it while the users submit suggestions (though I also add things myself when they come up).

I think this could work really well in this forum too.

Graham

p.s. here is the forum in question, the index is the top thread:

www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=85v

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-08-25 00:19
    Graham,

I think that is a great idea! Since the Propeller forum isn't set up with a hierarchical thread structure, a link index would fill the bill perfectly and reduce clutter on the front page. (If something like this isn't done, we'll soon have to scroll down just to get out of the sticky threads!)

-Phil
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2006-08-25 02:13
    As a frequent viewer of this forum, I also would like such a system. For example, there have been several very interesting threads on I2C inter-chip communication. Although I'm not currently hacking hardware together, I know someday this information will be crucial to getting stuff to work. If there were links to the I2C stuff in an easy to use/find system, that would be great. Same would apply to many others of these informative threads as well.

J
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-08-25 02:35
    I think similar things have been suggested in the past to help get past the "repeated questions"...so to post a FAQ in a sticky.

I've also been after a file section (notice the Propellor has one on the parallax website) as it would be nice to have up to date code in one place, rather than different versions scattered through different messages.

But I'm kinda hoping Parallax can't find the time to do these things because they're building yet more incredible tools!! [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-25 15:55
    Graham,

·· Who decides which threads are cool?· Who maintains the list of links?· Generally, unless it's a moderator only the person who posted a thread can edit it.· If you would like to maintain such a sticky thread then we could probably arrange it to be made so.· It would need a descriptive subject line as well as good description for each link.· As a side-note Andy Lindsay created something similar in the Stamps In Class Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-08-26 21:21
    Well someone definately needs to maintain it, whether it is a moderator or someone else. I would be happy to but I don't feel I am expert enough to do it really well.

If you like the idea and you can't persuade someone more suited to do it then I will.

Graham
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-08-27 00:30
    You could also consider creating a "Sticky Wiki" that could hold the links to the sticky threads for all of the forums.

That way, in each forum you could have one blue sticky thread, pointing people to the Sticky Wiki. All of the current blue stickies could be made unsticky, since they would be linked from the wiki. Whenever a new update is added to the wiki for a forum, only the blue sticky in that forum needs a post that the wiki has been updated.

As for maintenance, keep it in-house, which means only Parallax appointed people can add content to the wiki.
    edited 2006-08-27 10:46
    I don't think a wiki is needed, just a catagorized list.

Graham
    edited 2006-09-03 21:12
    bump