Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
wat do u use a propstick for? — Parallax Forums

wat do u use a propstick for?

ProgrammertannerProgrammertanner Posts: 20
edited 2006-09-05 15:06 in Propeller 1
wat can the propstick be used for i mean why dont ppl get the demo bord it seams better

Comments

• nutsonnutson Posts: 242
    edited 2006-08-24 16:06
    Propstick has 28 free,easy accessible pins, demoboard 8. Makes a big difference in building an embedded application.
  • ProgrammertannerProgrammertanner Posts: 20
    edited 2006-08-24 16:39
    oh thnx
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-08-24 18:54
    I would suggest getting the demo board as your first foray into the Propeller, its a little more packaged and has alot more you can do with it pretty much right out of the box.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BiblioTechBiblioTech Posts: 10
    edited 2006-08-24 23:10
    I would also suggest getting the demo board or starter kit.

I've done that myself and have the Propstick still in it's bag for when I know enough to use it. My plan is to use the demo board to prototype each part of the system, write and debug the objects and then integrate as each part is ready onto the Propstick while the full system(with few problems, I hope) grows.

As I said thats the plan. But as they say no plan survives the first meeting with the enemy!

SeeYa,
    Frans...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Read a book, under a lamp and think what it took to get here.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-08-24 23:22
    If you can afford it the demoboard gets you right in the thick of the action, I know I'd still be messing around trying to find PS2 sockets if I hadn't got it.

The stick looks like a great half way house between full custom and the demoboard.

Graham
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-08-25 00:08
    to Programmertanner, an example of going PropSTICK.

If the attachment comes through, you can see there is *some* effort in getting the interfaces in place to *do THINGS*.
    Originally idea.gif I figured I'd just download the Propeller manual material and read and study it. Then the $59 offer for the PropSTICK was an 'offer I couldn't refuse." turn.gif

Figured the demo board was too costly. However, I've spent hours figuring out what's needed, rounding up the parts, doing a parts layout, then doing the grunt work of wiring the parts together.

First was the TV monitor i/f. Then after a few demos, added the PS/2 mouse i/f (upper right), then the keyboard (received a Parallax keyboard and mouse yesterday) and 8 LEDs i/f (just below it). Next I have the jumpers to add. No USB, no VGA, no audio in/out (I would like to hear the 'gonna hurl' audio). For my use I wanted the 28 totally free I/Os. PropSTICK was the way to go for me. YMMV though. Think out what you want to do, how well you are with 'building things', how well stocked your 'junk box' is, etc.; things like that.

I think the PropSTICK was the best choice for my needs. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    640 x 480 - 35K
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2006-09-03 17:54
    PS/2 sockets aren't an issue, simply Googling PS/2 pinouts and looking for "...ru.pinouts.net/" or something like that, it's a russian based site and the data/clock pins were listed inverse of each other, but there's TONS of info on that site, even PCI/Parallel/AGP/VGA and more including explanations on the various protocalls.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2006-09-03 17:58
    PS/2 sockets aren't an issue, simply Googling PS/2 pinouts and looking for "...ru.pinouts.net/" or something like that, it's a russian based site and the data/clock pins were listed inverse of each other, but there's TONS of info on that site, even PCI/Parallel/AGP/VGA and more including explanations on the various protocalls.

Personally, i used two 6" breadboards, a canabalized 10MHz crystal @ PLL8x, a canaballized MAX232 chip, bargraph from Radio Shack, 350W Micro ATX P/S, Cheapy full/size keyboard/opto mouse as a $80 Demo board/programmer/power supply setup. Works beautifully, not real pretty, but really funcional!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-09-05 15:06
    Getting the demoboard to get the feet wet is what I have done. I also have a propstick kit that is still in the bag that I will open when I am comfortable w/ what I am driving to achieve. Demoboard is a very handy tool to get learning quickly w/o having to worry abt hooking up some basic components and aux's.