Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help in figuring out what I need ... — Parallax Forums

Help in figuring out what I need ...

DunedonDunedon Posts: 13
edited 2006-08-24 15:44 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone ... this is my first post, and my first foray into microcontrollers [noparse]:)[/noparse]

(Mods: Not sure if I've got the right forum for this, so please move if needed)

I've got an idea for a puppet controller I'd like to modify (it's currently a manual controller, I'd like to add these electronics to the end of it) but I'm unsure of what pieces I need to purchase and was hoping someone could help me [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Requirements:

1) Needs to be contained in a box as physically small as possible (would like to clip it to my belt).
2) Needs to run on a miniumum amount of power.
3) Needs to provide random movement in the two axis (described below).

Functions:
The item to be controlled is a wire, contained inside a sheath ... the wire has two actions that I believe need to be controlled by two motors (with movement in both axis possible simultaniously).

1) The·wire can be moved in and out of the sheath (max about 1" movement).
2) The wire can be rotated about it's central axis (max about 60 degrees in each direction).

One of my biggest challenges is trying to figure out how to rotate the wire core, as well as move it in and out ... to me it seems I'd have to move the motor controlling the rotation back and forth, which doesn't seem very possible (but who knows) [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Any help on the electronics and mechanics necessary to get this working would be greatly appreciated.

- Keith (dunedon@rogers.com)

·

Comments

• metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-08-24 15:44
    Sure is, just mount one servo on top of another servo, you will need micro servos to meet your size requirement, I assum the wire would be flexible like the Estring on a guitar perhaps and could bend at the exit point of the sheath up to the servo. Use the mounted servo for the linear motion up and down and the fixed servo for the rotation of the wirre in the sheath.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!