Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Breadboard — Parallax Forums

Breadboard

EugeneEugene Posts: 7
edited 2006-08-21 20:46 in BASIC Stamp
I have purchased all of the components that I need for my industrial marking machine project. I have programmed and tested the Stamp. I'm looking for some advice on the best way to physically put the circuit together. In addition to the Basic Stamp II, I am using two Grayhill 70M-OAC5 solid state relays to drive two 115 VAC Solenoids (1.6 amps inrush), plus an assortment of pull up and isolation resistors and terminal blocks to wire my proximity sensors and switches.

I'm an electronics novice, and my first thought is that a plug-in type prototype breadboard would be ideal for me. The quantity here is one. I'm terrible at soldering, and any money saved on a cheaper breadboard would be more than made up by my time soldering.

Is there a plug in breadboard available that can handle the amperage I need to drive my solenoids? How about Parallax's "Board of Education" Development Board, for example? Or is this approach inadvisable? Any thoughts or recommendations would be sincerely welcomed.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-21 18:06
    If you're controlling 115VAC solenoids, switching 1.6 amps, then you'd bloody well better be able to solder, or know someone who can. And know what guage of wire to use for such an application -- 24 guage jumper wires are not going to do it.

The white-plastic "breadboard" modules are excellent for wiring small-signal, small-current prototypes (meaning 0 to 24 volts, 0 to 500 mA). They are really bad at high-voltage, high-current applications. They melt, for one thing, and you don't want 115 Volts AC sitting on a bare conductor.

Bottom line -- the application you're doing uses life-sensitive components -- ie components that can kill you or others if not installed correctly. It sounds like you don't know how to install them correctly. I don't know who could help you with this.
  • EugeneEugene Posts: 7
    edited 2006-08-21 19:08
    Dear Mr. Lane,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know the capacity of the plastic breadboard. That's why I asked.

I'll likely have someone solder the circuit for me.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-08-21 19:29
    Eugene,

The other important point to allan's cautions is that it really doesn't take very long to learn how to solder competently. I taught my daughter over a weekend when she was in high school. Its sort of like chess, quick to learn the basics and a life-time to perfect!

If you've got someone lined up to help you, take the opportunity to work along with them and do some test connections.

Cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-21 20:02
    Oh, good. I'm sorry if I got snarky there, but I did want to underline how dangerous what you were proposing could be. We get a lot of 'first timers' on here, and the project you were proposing was not something a 'first timer' should attempt without lots of help.

It does sound like a neat project, and with proper design and construction could be built safely. But it IS one of those 'life-sensitive' projects that needs extra care.
  • EugeneEugene Posts: 7
    edited 2006-08-21 20:46
    Mr. Sisk- That sounds like a good suggestion. I may very well try to acquire this skill, particularly if I do these projects more frequently going forward.

Mr. Lane- I understand your position. I have no interest in harming myself or others, and I didn't mean to give the impression that I am careless. I am here to learn.