Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX-Key IDE v. 3.2: anybody have a programming problem? — Parallax Forums

SX-Key IDE v. 3.2: anybody have a programming problem?

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
edited 2006-08-22 06:26 in General Discussion
Hello SXers,

A key customer of mine in Australia is having some programming trouble using the SX-Key IDE 3.2. His description is as follows "using my trusty development board and SX-Key which has been in use for many years - it programs great with V3.1 but not with V3.2" and he continues on to say "it seems to have something to do with internal oscillator calibration as I can read the device ok and program it when set for an external oscillator. What happens is the program displays 'ERASING' momentarily and then 'Calibrating' for an even shorter period then the programming message goes away without an error message."

I've informed both Peter Montgomery (SX-Key IDE) and Guenther Daubach (SX-Key firmware)· but they've not heard of such a problem.

Which is why I ask this question on our own forums. Is anybody having programming difficulty with the SX-Key IDE 3.2? This is the first I have heard of such programming difficulty.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• NateNate Posts: 154
    edited 2006-08-20 23:55
    Is this the same guy?

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=598731

If not, then yes, other people are having the same problem.· I myself have not upgraded from V3.1 to V3.2,·so have not had·to deal with the issue·myself.

Nate
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2006-08-20 23:59
    Hey Nate,

Not the same person. However, this makes two.

Anybody else?

Ken
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2006-08-21 03:23
    Hi All;

I don't care for the smooth scroll as well as some other minor "new features" , so I continue to use 3.1

Although for a while I did use 3.2, but was switching back and forth quite a bit, so now I'm unsure if any problems were encountered.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • BongoBongo Posts: 65
    edited 2006-08-21 06:53
    Yes, menu bar run, device and program button in the dialoge·box often no working.

On the other hand, the program button an the menu bar always working.· An Australian thing maybe?

But compared to the 2 months·of everything I touch getting hot and emitting smoke, this is a minor detail.

Either this ends soon, or I'm hanging up my soldering iron.

bongo
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-08-21 11:31
    Ken,
    I just tried it here, and as your customer said. It seem to work fine UNTIL you put in "IRC_CAL IRC_4MHZ" to do the internal calibration. Then I just get "ERASING", then briefly "CALIBRATING" then nothing.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 8/21/2006 12:02:52 PM GMT
  • dkemppaidkemppai Posts: 315
    edited 2006-08-21 12:01
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Hello SXers,

A key customer of mine in Australia is having some programming trouble using the SX-Key IDE 3.2. His description is as follows "using my trusty development board and SX-Key which has been in use for many years - it programs great with V3.1 but not with V3.2" and he continues on to say "it seems to have something to do with internal oscillator calibration as I can read the device ok and program it when set for an external oscillator. What happens is the program displays 'ERASING' momentarily and then 'Calibrating' for an even shorter period then the programming message goes away without an error message."
    I've run into similar problems in the past. However, I don't remember what I did to fix it...

Sounds like Bean was able to recreate the problem...

-Dan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"A saint-like quantity of patience is a help, if this is unavailable, a salty vocabulary works nearly as well." - A. S. Weaver
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-08-21 19:44
    I just started using the SX Key, I am wondring why the erasing and programming is so slow, what baud rate is it set at default and can it be changed, it takes at least 5 seconds to erase and program the chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-08-21 20:39
    metron9,
    That is normal. You cannot change the baud rate.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" Christopher Robin to Pooh
    ·
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2006-08-22 03:14
    Okay, I have found and fixed the problem with using the 3.2 IDE to perform a calibration while programming. The good news is it works. The bad (slightly) news is that the fix won't be released immediately as it awaits other fixes/changes before another release is done. If there are folks on this list who need (not want) the fix, please contact Parallax, explain your situation, and have them contact me if they agree with you.

Thanks,
    PeterM
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2006-08-22 04:46
    Specifically, you can use my contact information kgracey@parallax.com if you need to get the new IDE before our next release. I'll get you the IDE without the installer, since we're about to release a new version as Peter mentioned.

Thanks to everybody for contributing to the bug report, and to Peter for solving the problem.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-08-22 05:48
    Is there any plan to increase the programming speed? I guess Im a little spoiled with the stk500 writing the atmel chips at 1.8mhz I program a few lines at a time and test as I go so it adds up fast in wait time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2006-08-22 06:26
    Metron9,

The programming speed is a function of the time required to program the flash EEPROM on the SX chip itself. The short answer is that this will not be changing. I suggest you check out the SX simulator to test ideas quickly without needing to program a chip. If this doesn't suit you, then you'll probably need to tweak your coding style a little when working with the SX chips.

Thanks,
    PeterM