Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie SER question — Parallax Forums

Newbie SER question

mojoemojoe Posts: 8
edited 2006-08-21 21:44 in BASIC Stamp
I just got a BoeBot kit and am fiddling around with a few experiments of my own before building the robot. First, my question. Is there any conflict with using the SER I/O for my own purposes and the programming of the BS2? In other words, if I program the BS2 to use SER in my own program, will I still be able to always reprogram the BS2?

While thinking about this issue, I figured that an easy way to handle any potential conflict would be to use a pullup resistor and a two-pin header, connected to an input pin. If the pullup resister was in-circuit, abort the program. Here is my little test program. Is this overkill?

' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}

nReps VAR Nib

INPUT 0

IF IN0 THEN
    GOTO Done
ENDIF

FOR nReps = 1 TO 5
    SEROUT 16, 16468, [noparse][[/noparse]"Test",CR,LF]
    PAUSE 1000
NEXT

SEROUT 16, 16468, [noparse][[/noparse]"Serial test completed",CR,LF]

Done:
END

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-21 14:20
    Hello,

·· Regardless of what you're doing on the BS2 Serial Port, as long as you have the right Serial Cable and the PC COM Port is available, the BASIC Stamp Editor will always be able to program the BASIC Stamp, since part of that sequence is resetting it.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • mojoemojoe Posts: 8
    edited 2006-08-21 21:44
    Thanks for the reply. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure. Maybe I worry too much?