Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Vibra Mass Tab Help — Parallax Forums

Vibra Mass Tab Help

music_martinmusic_martin Posts: 6
edited 2006-08-21 04:36 in General Discussion
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience working with the Vibra Mass Tab? I'm using 4 of them as vibration sensors hooked to a BS2 through an A/D converter. Besides the zener and a resistor, is it really necessary an OP amp? Any recommendations for a different ADC. (4 channels, 8 or 12 bit). I'm using an MCP3208 that i don't feel comfortable working with because I have not seen anyone using it, and I'm not getting very accurate data.
The idea of the project is to read the sensors and send midi to Max/Msp.

Thanks,
Martin

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-20 00:43
    Martin -

Now that I see what you're using, what gave you the impression that you could develop a usable, or meaningful analog voltage from this sensor? The Parallax documentation certainly doesn't imply that.

What you may want to use is a guitar pick-up or something like that. From that kind of sensor, there MAY be a meaninful and usable analog output. THEN you can run it through an ADC and perhaps produce some meaningful results.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • music_martinmusic_martin Posts: 6
    edited 2006-08-20 01:34
    Actually what I'm trying to do is to have many of these sensors spread out on a stage. As the performers move through the floor, I get some data to feed a Max/Mps patch. The MCP3208 works nicely (I did solve the problem and posted the solution in the Basic Stamp forum). I'd like to learn more about different ADCs. Speed, data, most commonly used by BasicStampers, etc.

Thanks,
    Martin
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-08-21 04:36
    Try using just a Peizo buzzer, they can pick up a snap of your fingers 2 feet away without any amplification, On a wood floor you could actually triangulate the position of footsteps.

I use the CEP-1110 as a pickup.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!