Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video Broadcast Bandwidth — Parallax Forums

Video Broadcast Bandwidth

crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
edited 2006-09-02 16:19 in General Discussion
Hi all, I'm looking into puting a video camera on my large (200 lb) robot.· I need some way of broadcasting the signal back to my base station.· I'm looking into using a radio module from maxstream, the the XBee Pro OEM.· My only question is, is the 250,000 bps that the XBee broadcasts at fast enough for video transmition?· Also, can I hook the data pin on an·RCA jack (video) directly to the datain pin of the module?· I have Googled both of these questions, but can find nothing on it.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
NerdMaster
For
Life

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-19 17:59
    What you're suggesting won't work. The output of the camera is an analog video signal. The XBee Pro OEM expects a digital signal. Even if you converted the video to digital, without a lot of heavy compression, it wouldn't go out over a 250KB channel. Much better would be to buy a 900MHz or 2.4GHz analog video transmitter and receiver combination. I believe Jameco has one in their catalog.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-08-19 20:02
    How about a wireless video camera/receiver with 150 foot range for $30 www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=203C-50MW-N&cat=VID&cpc=VIDbsc
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2006-08-19 23:10
    Thanks for the info Mike Green.
    Forrest said...
    How about a wireless video camera/receiver with 150 foot range for $30 www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=203C-50MW-N&cat=VID&cpc=VIDbsc
    I've seen this camera before, However, I'm looking for a range of at least half a mile.· Is it posible to amplify a signal, like the one coming out of a camera like this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-19 23:24
    Jameco does have a variety of transmitters available, up to 1W (<http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c263/P276.pdf>). I would not suggest using an amplifier at 2.4GHz, just get a more powerful transmitter and use a good antenna. The cost goes up, but hey! There are omnidirectional gain antennas (which is probably what you want) that are multiples of 1/4 wavelength. They're relatively sophisticated at this kind of frequency and, if you don't have microwave experience, I'd suggest you stick with commercially made devices.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-08-19 23:47
    Just google for almost any supplier of radio controlled aircraft. You will find numerous wireless camera kits in the ranges you're looking for.

I have used Micro Wireless from Texas several times with good success. www.microwireless.net

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • bbnoobiebbnoobie Posts: 7
    edited 2006-09-02 16:19
    there is also www.ramseyelectronics.com 1/4 mile range and trsnsmitter for 150 but works pretty good only 1 frequency though channel 59