Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
beginers — Parallax Forums

beginers

azmax100azmax100 Posts: 173
edited 2006-08-22 04:39 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all!yeah.gif

Recently i bought a Robo Sapien for my daughter.
(actually iam the one who like it very much)

I was thinking how nice if icould build one cause i have interest in robotic
since i was schoolng.freaked.gif

I want to build a bipedal robot like the robo sapien.
after going trough this forum i found that u all are very helpfull and ambitous.
I think this is the right place for me to begin.

I have read about BS2 and know a bit about it trough this forum. I am zero
in programming.I want to start with BS2 cause of the Pbasic language is easy to understand.
plus the PSC i think it would make my project easier.(from what i've read)

I need ur support in my project to make my childhood dream come true.
·I need ur opinion and sugestion.

Thank you.turn.gif
·

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-08-19 05:33
    Why dont you try taking a look at the toddler bot, its a biped robot and programmable to avoide edges and sense walls ect.

www.parallax.com try looking in the robotics link

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Learn somthing about everything, and Everthing about somthing-
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-19 05:33
    There are many excellent books downloadable at no cost from Parallax's website including an intoduction to Robotics. The best way to learn how to do your project is to start with the books including the PBasic Manual, get one of the starter kits like the BOE-BOT or Toddler BOT and begin doing the experiments. The books will take you through gradually more complicated examples that you can modify to do what you want. As you become more comfortable with the programming and the hardware, you can go through some of the other books and magazine articles (in Nuts and Volts) to learn about communications, controlling larger motors, more complex sensors, etc.
  • azmax100azmax100 Posts: 173
    edited 2006-08-19 09:52
    ·· Hi!yeah.gif

Thank you to willthiswork89 and Mike Green for the advise.
    ···
    For your info the nearest dealer/distributor for Parallax product is about 400 KM
    from my place. The price for the Toddler Robot about U$400 but i can get the BOE Bot kit
    at U$180(good bargain).I think i will start with the BOE BOT cause my financial won't
    permit at this moment.·at the same time try to sharpening my skill in programming.
    I already decide to put a budget about U$100 per mont for this project.

I already download some document about the BOE BOT and Pbasic Maual.
    If i decide to start with the BOE BOT can i use the PSC later to my project?idea.gif

And just want to ask you a question.

WHat's the different between DC Motor and a Servo?

Dont Laught at me!!!
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-08-19 11:30
    DC motors just turn, forward or backward. When they are stopped, it takes a moment for them to come to a complete halt.

Servos are more controllable. You can make them turn an exact amount in either direction and then stop almost instantly. Normal servos cannot rotate constantly though, only back and forth, but there are modified ones that can rotate continuously.

- Rick
    edited 2006-08-19 12:24
    Thanks RDL2004·for your reply.
    I also have a Cybot from Real Robot Magzine(www.realrobots.com). like Boe Bot but only can be program with
    its inhouse GUI software.(not really challenging)

When i look at the motor its only have two wire. As i know (if i'm not mistaken)·servor has tree wire.
    Is it a dc motor?
    How do i recognise is it a servor or a dc motor?

(alredy begin to learn)
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-19 13:58
    azmax100 -

Most R/C servos look approcimately like that in the following link and have 3 wires:
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=900-00005

An R/C servo is a specialized DC motor. DC motors, in general, come in all sortsof shapes and sizes, but usually only have two wires.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-19 14:53
    To answer your other question ... Yes, you can use the PSC with the Board of Education. The BOE-BOT is the combination of the BOE with the little wheeled robot chassis and assorted parts and doesn't need (or really have space for) the PSC. For a more complex robot, the combination of the BOE and PSC is very good. It allows the BOE to process the data from sensors and make decisions about movement without spending all its time actually controlling the servo motors.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-19 22:10
    azmax100 -

Just to add another thought to the installation of a PSC on a BOE-Bot, if you had a compelling reason to do so. Nothing prevents you from adding a second or upper deck to the existing BOE-Bot, so long as it wasn't carrying battry packs or anything heavy.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-08-21 01:37
    Thanks Bruce Bates·for your reply.

Just want to ask you few more question about DC motir.

Can it be use in robotic project?

If can what is the pros and con of usig it?

Please explain in detail if posible.

Thank you.smurf.gif
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2006-08-21 02:11
    azmax100 . I know the question wasn't for me but ... YES DC motors can be used with your robot project, that just depends on what you whant to do ! to drive dc motor with yous BASIC Stamp 2 (BS2) you will need to use a driver, an H-Bridge is type of driver for dc motors , I built one from BOB BLICK web site ( http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/hbridge/hbridge.html ) works great and is very cheap !

After a while you're gonna see that you can add almost anything to your robot project , it just depends on cost and purpose.

Take the boe bot , play with it . I always say for my friend that this is an unlimited toy ! everyday you can improve an develop new things and tasks for if . you will love it !.

Amaral
    edited 2006-08-21 03:13
    Thanks Amaral.yeah.gif

I alredy take a look at the circuit diagaram. It seem like theres two input for the motor go forward

and backward. Since DC motor got only two wire i asume that it use to drive the motor forward and backward.

then how to connect to the ground?
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2006-08-22 04:39
    Ok .. That H-bridge has 3 wires as an input from BS2 ! one is the Ground , that shoud just be connected to the same ground of the basic stamp, then you have two control wires, if you put one of them in high state ( + 5V ) the engine will run in one direction ( let's say Clockwise ) , now if you return this first wire to low state ( 0 V ) and then put the second input into a high State ( + 5V ) the engine will run in reverse direction ( Now lets say Counter Clockwise ).

DO NOT EVER ENERGIZE (FROM POWER SUPLY) THIS BOARD IN REVERSE POLARITY IT CAUSES DAMAGE TO THE POWER TRANSISTOR ( THEY BURN INSTANTLY )

So , you have 5 inputs an 2 outputs .... 3 inputs from the BS2 been one Ground, and Two for Drive the motor - 2 inputs from external power suply that shoud be connectet to an external battery in the wright polarity.. and finally 2 outputs that shoud be connected to the DC motor.

Keep talking and trying .

Amaral