Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Software emulator wish — Parallax Forums

Software emulator wish

DannyDanny Posts: 56
edited 2006-08-18 00:23 in BASIC Stamp
I did a quick search on thge forums to see if there was an existing thread on this, and couldn't find any so here I go!

I do a lot of work on simple PLCs and for most of them the programming software has an emulator so that you can test your programming before actually downloading to a controller.

I am working on programmng a robot (who isn't) and would love to be able to test the sub programs and the whole program while I am sitting in a hotel room at night.

With air travel as crazy as it is, and the hassles I go through checking basic hand tools and test equipment, bringing a BOE Bot, accessories, and or other "toys" with me is darn near impossible.

So does anyone (parallax?) know if there is or will be a software emulator in the works? Nothing crazy just the ability to poke an input and see what happens at the outputs.

For examples of what I mean look at the programmable relay software at B&B electronics, or the VERY inexpensive Chinese FAB plcs and their knock offs.

Thanx!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Never create anything you can't control"
"The amount of intelligence on the planet is fixed... the population is growing"

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-08-16 18:46
    Take a look at the Proteus VSM software found at this link:· http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_basic_stamp.asp

Make sure to scroll down to the "Additional Software" section.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • FireHelixFireHelix Posts: 42
    edited 2006-08-17 02:11
    yah... so how much does that program cost? not being able to design your own circuts around the controller is fairly limiting to it's usefulness

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I know just enough to tinker with something... but not enough to fix it when I break it. Thank the techie gods theres forums...
  • DannyDanny Posts: 56
    edited 2006-08-17 04:59
    OK Dave, can I do what I want (basic stamp emulation) with the VSM Virtual stampworks? Or do I need to buy the whole Proteus VSM pacakage?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Never create anything you can't control"
    "The amount of intelligence on the planet is fixed... the population is growing"
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-08-17 12:49
    Since you specifically mentioned the BoeBot, you might also check this out: www.eyewyre.com/studio/
    edited 2006-08-17 15:01
    Danny said...
    OK Dave, can I do what I want (basic stamp emulation) with the VSM Virtual stampworks? Or do I need to buy the whole Proteus VSM pacakage?

If you click on this link:· http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/proteus.asp·it will give you all the details.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com

·
  • FireHelixFireHelix Posts: 42
    edited 2006-08-17 16:18
    after following the link, yes it gives lots of information on the software, but no download link... and at their site it's either limited demo with preset setups only or purchase the software. i take it theres no "free" emulation software for custom projects?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I know just enough to tinker with something... but not enough to fix it when I break it. Thank the techie gods theres forums...
    edited 2006-08-17 17:13
    FireHelix said...
    after following the link, yes it gives lots of information on the software, but no download link... and at their site it's either limited demo with preset setups only or purchase the software. i take it theres no "free" emulation software for custom projects?

That's correct, there isn't a free version that I know of.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com

·
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2006-08-18 00:23
    Here is a simulator it works with basic stamp I, and PICs

http://www.virtualbreadboard.com