Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CANbus for the Propeller is nearly here — Parallax Forums

CANbus for the Propeller is nearly here

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-08-22 12:08 in Propeller 1
Hello,
I have been working on making the MCP2515 Canbus controller more useable with Parallax products.· Since it is an SPI interface, it will work with the BS, the SXes, and the Propeller.· The Propeller really adds nice features due to the video and keyboard capablity and may provide a video terminal to observe and control all the nodes on a bus.

What I have is a printed circuit board that allows one to exploit any and all the options that the MCP2515 allows.· Additionally, it can provide unregulated +9 or so to other nodes.· And, I have the beginning of a tutorial that will allow the beginner to decypher what all the 128 registers in the device are about and help the beginner explore the devide via a series of PBasic programs.

The knowledge gained in PBasic is transferable to any other microprocessor.· And the board operates with A 40Mhz crystal to allow the maximum CANbus of 1Mbits/second, if desired. The footprint is about 2inches x 3inches.

It has been fun.· I learned a great deal about Eagle and was able to order these boards quite reasonable from China.· If anyone wants one [noparse][[/noparse]or two - you will likely need at least two], the bare board is $5USD and postage is $2USD for 1-3 boards.

I hope to post some images soon.

You can actually have 60 nodes running on LAN cable and distances of 1000-2000 feet - easily.· Home automation anyone?· I suspect you could use a PINK to bridge over to the Internet too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-08-15 12:12
    Hi Kramer,

I'd be real interested in that - I just took delivery of a load of CANbus parts, but am finding the datasheets a little hard to follow [noparse]:([/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-08-21 17:03
    Yes, the data sheets can be really tough.
    As a result, I have begun my own tutorial information.
    In the beginning it was just to help me revise what I was learning, but I am finding it worth sharing.

Since I am using the MCP2515, that is really what I understand.
    There is at least one error that is significant in their documentation about Bit Timing and I can see why many might give up.

Are you using it? If so, I would be happy to share what I have written.
    I am also in the midst of generating a series of PBasic programs to use with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2006-08-22 12:08
    Hi Kramer,

Not started using it yet - my PChip turned-up a couple of days after the CANbus chips, so I've been playing with that instead! smile.gif

Once you've got your PBasic programs working, I'd be happy to help convert them to spin if you like?

BTW: Replied to the PM...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon