Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
COM1 not responding — Parallax Forums

COM1 not responding

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-08-12 19:20 in BASIC Stamp
Well I have been having system problems and reloaded my WindowsXP due to Norton Internet Securitly causing a huge bog down in speed and multiple lockups.

I managed to solve the problem with System Mechanic and I added a Fax Modem to COM1 as I need it for international communications that I occasionally do.

I have had to turn off Norton Firewall and use Windows Firewall for the Fax to work.· After doing so, I no longer have a COM1 in PBasic.

I am thinking of just reinstalling the IDE and seeing if that works, but I may need further help as both the Firewall and the Modem software are involved.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-12 17:53
    Is it possible that the Fax software is 'grabbing' COM1, and not making it available for use with your BOE?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-08-12 18:19
    Yes, that is quite possible.
    But I put the Fax Modem in pause on the Printer and Fax folder.

Now, the hardward no longer recognizes it on the COM port list.
    All I have is computer-to-computer communications listed there.

I am going to try to reload the IDE as it is easy and it is about the only thing I haven't tried.

It says, 'Can't open COM1, already in use'

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 8/12/2006 6:23:00 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-12 18:39
    Well, there you are. If your HARDWARE (and OS) no longer recognize COM1 as an available serial port, then it's been grabbed by your OS for Fax purposes -- and 'pausing' the fax doesn't change that.

So, it sounds like you need another serial port.

Hmm. I just tried enabling 'FAX' on my laptop. I have a fax-modem card (apparently) inside this thing -- so dedicating that connection to a fax is not a problem. I'm afraid you may have to delete your fax entry, to free up COM1 for general use. I'd hope that wouldn't be necessary, but none of the options seemed to be "turn off fax service for now".
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-08-12 19:20
    Well, SystemMechanic popped up and asked to fix things.

Now it is working fine, but I have no idea why.

In the wonderful world of automatic updates, documentation no longer exists in any coherent form. One cannot get any overview or autonomy.· Nonetheless, all is well.

I just was able to load a test program and verify my new CANbus board is working properly with the BasicStamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔