Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Propeller board — Parallax Forums

New Propeller board

NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
edited 2006-08-27 12:15 in Propeller 1
I have just about finished the layout of a new Propeller board. This version reflects what I learned from my first board, and includes everything I want from the Propeller Demo board. The headphone connector and the Electret mike connector have been left off, and I added a pullup on the EEPROM SCL line so the I2C Object will work with no problem. Here is a description of the board:

5V and 3V regulators, double filtered

Power jack for wall tranformer

DB9 connector for programming

DB15 High Density connector for VGA, Pins 8-15

PCB mount PS/2 connector for keyboard or mouse, Pins 26 and 27

2-pos screw terminal for 5VDC and Gnd

8-pos screw terminal for Pins 0-7

EEPROM SCL and SDA to Pins 29 and 28

LED power indicator

Pads for Pins 16-23. Will accept 8-pos female header or screw terminal-same as for Pins 0-7

5MHz crystal

40-pin DIP Propeller

8-pin DIP EEPROM

16-pin DIP MAX3232

Transistor can be 2N3904 or 2N2222A.
NOTE: 2N2222A pinout is reversed.

4 mounting holes

PCB’s are Expresspcb miniboards, 3.8 x 2.5, no silkscreen,no soldermask. Your cost is $21.50, which includes postage. The cost to populate is about $29.23, assuming you have to buy everything and that you already have a Propeller.

As usual, I only need one, so I am looking for someone to buy the other two. If you want, I can send you a complete parts list, but you MUST approve the layout before I can order.

The current layout is attached. You need Express 5.4.0 or higher to view it. Remember you are looking at the bottom of the board. Components are inserted from the other side.

If you are interested please PM me with your e-mail address.

Sid

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-08-14 21:45
    Couldn't find any takers for my Expresspcb prop board, so SuperMill and I made our own.· Thanks to Propeller and its improved accuracy, the keyboard connector upper left and the DB15 VGA connector lower right dropped right in.· There's only one mounting hole for the DB15 - the board just wasn't big enough.· And the astute observer will note that I forgot the ground on the center pins of the DB15 - what a pity, it would have been so easy to do.· Now I'll have to jumper the pins to ground.· Since the board is single-sided I wound up with 7 or 8 jumpers, but that is easier than trying to make it double-sided.· Used an .015 cutter - 284 etch operations and 163 holes.· This is SuperMill's best effort to date.· I can't get over the accuracy and repeatability I'm getting with Propeller.· It is nothing short of incredible.· After the board was finished, I checked it while it was still on the mill table and found I had missed an etch line.· Put the cutter back in, repositioned the X and Y tables and added the missing etch line.· See if you can find it!

Sid
    525 x 287 - 16K
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-08-14 22:26
    dividing line between P25 and P26 of the propeller, i think
    dan
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-08-14 22:46
    hillbilly cnc mill in build stage ( total invested $50 )

dan

oops, forgot pic

Post Edited (Sawmiller) : 8/14/2006 10:56:13 PM GMT
    1128 x 834 - 78K
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2006-08-14 22:55
    on the supermill are you just running normal gcode, or your own system of codes?
    edited 2006-08-14 23:23
    I am not using gcode.· I wrote my own program for the Propeller, and in the Autorun mode, it reads the etch instructions for a DAT list.· The DAT list is generated manually and then converted with a special Stamp program I wrote· to Propeller format.· The converted data is then pasted into my Propeller program.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
    edited 2006-08-17 11:00
    Newzed said...
    Couldn't find any takers for my Expresspcb prop board, so SuperMill and I made our own.
    Sid

Now your talking. (that's an odd saying, huh)

I can't view the PCB file with this computer, but the board looks awesome.
    Also I can't see were you added the new line. You must have been happy about that.

I wonder if you could hook up a fine pitch paint pen and do silk screening. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Kidding...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -

Perfection in design is not achieved when there is nothing left to add.
    It is achieved when there is nothing left to take away.
    edited 2006-08-21 20:55
    Here is a shot of my new Propellor board.· Since I had to make the board single-sided, there are about 7 or 8 jumpers.· The four pins on the left edge are for plugging in the Com2Prop board.· The keyboard connector is
    at upper right and the DB15 VGA connector is lower right.· If you noticed the tinyVR just right of the TO-220 VR, when I laid the board out I did it for two 3-pin TO-220s.· When I received the 3.3V regulator it was 4-pin.· I researched the problem and apparently there are no 3-pin TO-220 3V regulators.· So..........I soldered an old TO-220 in the holes, bent the VR over at a right angle and cut off all the pins next to the VR body.· Then I sildered an SMD SOT-223 VR to the wide part of the bare pins. then bent it upright.
    ·
    Making the board was a pain - had a couple of errors in the etch program which I was able to correct manually.· The Prop board and the Com2Prop board are working beautifully, so it was really worth the effort.· Size of the Prop board is 3.8 x 1.7.

Get your MF70 today!!

Sid
    525 x 285 - 13K
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2006-08-22 00:34
    Newzed,

Great job !

Rob7
  • PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
    edited 2006-08-27 02:49
    Congratulations Newzed. Great looking piece of work.

I've enjoyed watching you "move through the ranks" as it were. smile.gif

From "How do I..." to " Get your MF70 today". Very cool.

What is next on your to-do list?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - PLJack - - -

Perfection in design is not achieved when there is nothing left to add.
    It is achieved when there is nothing left to take away.
    edited 2006-08-27 12:15
    Good to see you, PL.

Several things going on - I have added a routine to the the SuperMill program so that now I can list the coordinates of each holes in a DAT list.· If I select this option from the menu, the mill moves to the hole, drills it, moves to the next hole, and so on.· Much easier than manually moving to a hole and drilling it.

On the new Propeller board, I have extablished two-communication between the Prop and my BS2E.· I send a byte command to the Stamp, and the Stamp sends back a string when it has completed the task assigned to it by the byte command.· I have also added a dual RFID reader option.· If I select "R" from the menu, the RFID reads a tag, compares it to a list of tags in a DAT list, and if the tag matches, it "unlocks" a door for three seconds, tells the Prop "Door is unlocked", then after three seconds tells the Prop "Door is locked again".· If I select "S" from the menu, the RFID scans a tag, compares it to the tags listed in a DAT list, and if there is a match, goes to another DATA list and displays the item and its value on the VGA.· That's my Inventory Control of devices.· I'm working on another routine that will list all the items I normally use in board assembly -· chips, resistors, caps, connectors., etc.· When I want to know if I have something, I enter the part number, Prop searches A DAT list and if I have it, Prop tells me how many.· That routine will take me a bit to complete.

The last thing on the worktable is an Excel list of all Forum threads I have an interest in, and the URL for that particular thread.· Sort of
    a SidGoogle - when I get it up-to-date it will save a tremendous amount of time.· Much quicker than going to the Forum and scrolling through pages and pages of threads I really con't care about.· Even quicker than the Google forum serach.

Other than that, I have to wash sheets this morning, make the bed, and finish the assemly of a special piggyback a customer has ordered.· He want to stack two Stamps together, sharing the same power and ground, three common I/O pins for serout, serin and flow control, but each with its own programming serial connector.· This one is a toughie, but we'll get there.

Why haven't you ordered your MF70???

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·