Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quick question on usb-serial compatibility — Parallax Forums

Quick question on usb-serial compatibility

sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
edited 2006-08-11 00:26 in Propeller 1
Can anyone confirm that Parallax's USB to Serial adapter works for programming the Propeller?
http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28030
The site says it works with all of their products...· Is this true and I can just connect the serial side of the board to the Propeller? Anyone willing to share some details on how to accomplish this?
Also, can someone determine if it is a male or female connector on the serial side?

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-08-10 22:10
    It would, however I think some translation circuitry is required (Beau posted a schematic in this forum to do so, I think one or more of the signals are inverted from what the propeller expects). The USB2SER ( http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28024·) will provide a straight "expected" signal for the propeller, also this elimiantes the need for a DB-9 connector. I may be incorrect about the translation requirement for the first product, if so someone please correct me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-10 22:39
    Paul is correct...It is compatible with all of our products, but that doesn't mean it will just plug right in to everything.· The BASIC Stamp 2 series have the correct circuitry on-board.· The BS1 has a small adapter and for the Propeller we have published an RS-232 interface schematic that works with this adapter.· I have used it (since I am running a laptop).· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-08-11 00:26
    I appreciate the word.. I have built a couple of the three transistor adapters and they work great... I wanted something with a slightly more polished result and the ability to use usb for programming on a new project but don't have the resources right now to get boards put together with the qfn ftdi chips... I figured you couldn't just hook them directly to the prop, but I had seen discussion previously where some of the adapters out there will not work since they don't provide dtr, etc..·
    The link you provided Paul is perfect... Waaay closer to what I was looking for right now... I don't mind doing level shifting, etc...

Thanks a bunch, both of you!